Can you use any power cable for a 2501?

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
Just got some from ebay and they didnt come with power cords. Can I use any cord (ie : from a pc?)
thanks

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you can use any powercord (PC).
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    Thanks, next stupid question:

1. I got one serial cable with my 2 routers (DTE its called?)
    Do I connect the two routers together with this? Or do I need 2 serial cables to do that.

2. The "console" cable I got has an RJ45 connection at BOTH ends. Can this still be used with Hyperterminal?
    Thanks
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Both questions are answered in: www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

Instead of the DCE, you can also buy a back-to-back, which actually might be cheaper.
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    I have the serial connected to both routers. So I guess it came with a cross over serial?

The UTP cable is missing the adaptor at the end I think. Being a newb sucks!

Thanks for the link
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You should be able to pick up that adapter for just a couple of bucks.
    So I guess it came with a cross over serial?
    If it fits, it fits ;)
    Being a newb sucks!

I'd look at it in a more positive way. Since you are using real routers instead of 'just' a book+simulator you get to 'experience' these things. icon_wink.gif
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    to make sure it is a crossover cable....stamped on the end or on the cable....make sure it says DCE on one end and DTE on the other end...As far as the console cable is concerned...make sure that the cable you have is a roll-over cable (pin 1 ->pin 8, pin2 ->pin7, and so on..). If you buy the adapter from a local store, you may have to put it together with the proper pinouts...if this is the case, let me know and I can help you...Hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA