Options

My 10yr challenge

KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
Hi everyone, My name is Marvin. I'm 23years YOUNG and I am from Baltimore, MD.

I've always been into computers, ever since I chose a computer system to be my MAKE-A-WISH back in '99. Even before that I can remember trying to connect into AOL 2.5 and playing with legacy computers in Elementary School using the huge Floppy Disk, trying to get those games to work LOL

In High School, I was a slacker, so I never got into the Networking Course, or the IT course that I wanted to, but still learned how to add connectors to Patch Cables, and HTML. Actually I learned HTML on my own.. but learned Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, even became certified in Word, Excel, PowerPoint 2000.

However no, I was in the Information Systems Management Program, where I had to take Accounting, Business Management, Business Law, Keyboarding, etc etc. (BORING).

I was transfered from a tech school to a public high school, again because i was lazy. Nothing challenged me.. so for my senior year, I went ahead and started going to Community College at night. First course ever took was A+ Courses.. got "B's".

After that I pursued Cisco.. however had no luck, because well I was in highschool, had hard time juggling both, and I spent most of my time trying to fix my computer than following along with the labs in class. Teacher wasn't helpful at all. So I gave up.. I went into Web Design.

I already knew HTML, so Dreamweaver was a breeze, however I learned Cascading Style Sheets and lil bit of JavaScript. Then went into Web Standards where I did more CSS and XHTML, DHTML, lil bit of XML. etc.

I then changed directions into Computer Science (C++) rather than learning PHP in webdesign.. I eventually gave up on C++ since I was missing alot of class.

Finally I just kept going at Networking, Data Communications.. Basic Fundamentals.

Then I gave up, and tried to get the general education required courses for Associates Degree.

I came across TrainingCamp.com, and finally just said screw it.. and signed up. I took their CompTIA A+/Network+ Course (7days) followed immediately by their Microsoft MCSE 14-day Bootcamp.. so I was away from home for 22 Days.. have to say.. I loved it.. being on my own, and working with computers every day.. however I never studied so much in my life.
I really tried my best. I have never even heard of Active Directory before I went, I never even worked with NOS before! Only thing I ever done with my life was Troubleshooting Computers and Building them.. maybe occasionally seting up home networks.. but I always knew I was smart, and can learn FAST.. and extremely good at problem solving, and always loved a good challenge.
End result, I passed A+, Network+, Security+ all with High scores (Comptia +EASY!).. then came MCP (easy), MCSA.. (70-291 was tough).. but passed it on the retry.
I attempted the 70-294 while there.. but was unsuccessful. I came home, waited a month.. studied for 2 days.. and failed it again. I missed 70-294 by about 5-6 questions the first time, and about 3-4 the second time. I have not taken the 298 or 299 yet..
I'm currently taking Microsoft courses at my community college now just to keep it fresh, go more indept, practice more.. get the easy 'A' to up my GPA and put those credits towards a AA Degree in NETWORK TECHNOLOGY.

I have to take English 101 (again) and Introduction to Linux, over the summer, and I can finally graduate with my AA Degree!!

I finally landed a job aswell. I started as a Helpdesk/PC Tech. I only work 2 days a week and only making 13/hr.. but hey.. finally I can have experience to put down on my resume. Before this I never had experience outside school other than the time I did volunteer work for a local computer shop, where all he ever did was formatted people's computer most of the time. icon_rolleyes.gif

anyways.. so where do I go from here... well.. well i have goals.. plans..
i have a 10YR Challenge... I want to see what my potential is.. i want to hit this IT field running!! i want to self-actualize!!

By the end of this year I want to achieve:
MCSE, MCSE:S, AA Degree in Network Technology,
Start my Cisco Courses Again.. Continue Linux

Next Year..(2010)
Finish Cisco Courses at Community College, Finish Linux Courses at Community College
Go Back to TrainingCamp for Linux Courses, Cisco Courses

Get my CCENT/CCNA/CCNA:Security, CCNP, CCSP
Get my CompTIA Linux+, LPIC, and become a RedHat Professional

I would LIKE to finish this by 2010, 2011 at the latest..
I would like to START on a Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems/Technology..
considering ITT-TECH's Information Systems Security BS Degree since I could take it online at my own pace.. possibly get that by 2011-2012

If I have time, I would like to pick up Apple Experience, Certification.. so maybe in 2010 or 2011 try and get my ACSP Certification
hell if I feel like wasting my money.. why not shoot for CompTIA Server+, CompTIA iNet+ Certs too icon_lol.gif

---

my true goal in life.. is to be a master in security.. in 2-3 years I want to have start training/certification process for
SSCP, CHFI, CISSP, C|EH, E|CSA/L|PT

maybe get a masters in something one day after the BS?

--
in 10years time.. I want to be Microsoft Certified, Cisco Certified, and an overall Security Expert..

I want to be a hired pen.tester or security analyst.. I would like to make over 95k/year in 10years.. I want to be ALL THAT I CAN BE..

so this is MY 10YR CHALLENGE..

who knows if I can do it.. I pretty much know that I can study study study.. get all these certifications without ANY experience.. just learn how to pass the certs.. but I dont want to be some Certifcation whore... and have no experience to back them up.

so this is my story.. this is my future.. this is going to be my life.
all i can say is..
" challenge yourself " icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Sounds good... if you wanna do security, I'd suggest you get as many of those certs as you can without the experience, then work on getting a security job somewhere so you can build up experience hours for the higher security certs. Once you get the security certs that don't require experience, then spend your lag time while waiting for a security job working on the other cert interests you have, such as maybe CCNA security, MCSE Security, get RHCE and the higher-level RHCE security course, etc.

If you want to do security and you're going to do all those certs, keep em security focused.

Props to you for your 10yr plan. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    That plan won't work because the iNet+ exam is no more icon_wink.gif But you can do the CIW stuff instead. But anyways, that's good to aim high and plan ahead.

Just make sure you have some sort of social life so you don't get burned out on studying or turn into that socially awkward computer guy.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowly but surely! Be sure to break each goal down as much as you can, so you continually feel like you're making progress. It's easy to get discouraged while pursuing very long-term goals. Good luck!
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Best wishes mate :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    hahaha... these responses definitely gave me a good chuckle..

as my friends say.. I'm a career student.. or I'm van wilder.. they said i've been in school forever.. but i can't help but to enjoy learning something new all the time.. and i really excel in computer classes, i take more interest, i give more effort into them.

definitely security is where I want to be at.. I found Security+ to be so easy, yet others found it difficult? Most of my family worked for government jobs, my mother worked for FBI for a lil bit, my uncle worked/works for NSA, my grandfather and grandmother both worked for NSA, my Aunt worked for NSA, and my other uncle worked for a military library. so high expectations on my part lol

i wasn't one of those goodies goods in highschool, and I definitely didn't want those bs jobs right off the back.. but looking back, i think i should have took it for the security clearance.

i really enjoy cyptography, codes and maths.. i think one day i might look more into that. that would fall under security more.

definitely want to break everything down into small goals, and knock them out one by one. This year.. finish MCSE: Security, get my AA in Network Technology.. in 6-12 months, leave helpdesk.. try to find a JR System/Network Administrator or Engineer job.. do that until I get 2-3 years under my belt, and get some Cisco Certs under my belt.. then look for something as a Cisco Admin or Engineer.. hopefully get my Bachelor's by then.. then head straight into security.. full speed ahead to big money.. and self actualization.

icon_cheers.gif

social life.. i think i've slacked off enough.. all my bestfriends have their own thing.. on my free time.. i goto school and i goto the gym. my bestfriend works for the government.. so he's always busy.. goes to school at night too. his girlfriend, who is my other bestfriend, goes to school full time, and works when she can. we're all great friends.. all hang out when we can.. so that is my social life. occasional party once in a while.. but hey.. study hard now, play hard later..

thanks for the support guys..

feel free to post your plans/goals/dreams.. i dont want to use up all this space myself icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    You're already started, you are an MCSA by microsoft requirements and you began when? this year? thats a lot of progress in a short time...

Once you get a job youll find it more difficult to achieve your goals...

You've got a great road planned before you for 10 years, follow it, you should not affect your social life or going to the gym, you should start making a weekly schedule of how much time are you going to study and which days...

I got a plan myself, I want to be an MCSE by the end of this year, maybe CCENT or CCNA and/or oracle, I got a great job I just landed which gives me the experience to get my MCSE cuz I get to work with a W2k3 server and maybe start LPI since Im going to be working with linux and get LPI 1 and 2 for the next year, I get to work with a lot of network devices (switches, security appliances like astaros, routers, telephony systems) so that would help me achieve my goals...

Anyways, do what makes you happy and fulfills your need to learn, and check the offensive security programs by the guys that made backtrack Offensive-Security.com - Professional Security Training and Services some people give them more credit that the ones by EC Council