Options

Job hunting with the CCNA

JMB^3JMB^3 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I’m a CCNA now. I passed ICND1 about two months ago and just passed ICND2 this past Tuesday.

So this is the thing. I’m looking at jobs on Monster.com and Dice.com and all the jobs that I see with the CCNA required also ask for either the NP or some other type of cert as well. The majority of these asked that the applicant be familiar with technologies and devices outside the CCNA curriculum. For example some wanted Active Directory experience.

Even worse they all want several years of related experience. So my question to everyone is this: how difficult is it to get that first job and is the CCNA enough to get it for you without any related experience?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very difficult.

CCENT/CCNA really isn't employable unto itself. It's a building block for bigger things. Most jobs I see want it coupled with the MCSE for junior level positions.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You have to remember, it's getting tougher and tougher out there with the recession dragging on, and that's on top of IT being a cut-throat industry to begin with. The trifecta - certs, a degree, and experience - is what you want and what most employers look for. However, it's very possible to find a job with two, or even one, of the three. Put yourself out there, make sure your resume is polished and professional-looking, play up your strengths and downplay your weaknesses, and just keep trying until you find something. Most importantly, don't stop learning/training!

My current position as systems engineer is the third mid-to-advanced level IT position I've held in the last three years. Each of the companies I've worked for have listed a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field, as a minimum requirement. I'll be taking my first degree, an Associate's degree in information systems, in the Spring of 2010.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Very difficult.

CCENT/CCNA really isn't employable unto itself. It's a building block for bigger things. Most jobs I see want it coupled with the MCSE for junior level positions.

There's a lot of that, but I also see a lot of entry level positions for NOCs or supervisory positions where a CCNA is the minimum level.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A CCNA isn't going to land you a job on its own, no certification will. It will however help you to get that job. Certifications should be only one of your many selling points to a potential employer.

Good luck with the search!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    I don't know why everyone gets so stuck on what the asking requirements are in job descriptions. Those are simply to weed out a bunch of folks with NO experience. Of course you aren't going to have everything they ask for. As for college, I have SOME, but I dont have a degree. I do however have 4yrs Army. So maybe thats making up for it. I guess I'm just fortunate. But no one has turned me away because I DONT have a degree. I have certs and I have exp. That is what seems to count. At least for me.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I think the issue is having a CCNA and nothing else to back it up. With these times there are people more qualified that are looking for the same job. Also dont be limited to just a networking job to get your foot in the door take an admin position as long as you are in the company you can move around.

My 2 cents
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dice jobs unfortunately want junior or senior people these jobs
    are out in the desserts and require loads of experience but bring in loads of $$$$ I looked tooo and I dont even have enough yet icon_rolleyes.gif...icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know why everyone gets so stuck on what the asking requirements are in job descriptions. Those are simply to weed out a bunch of folks with NO experience. Of course you aren't going to have everything they ask for.

icon_thumright.gif Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    msethk wrote: »
    icon_thumright.gif Couldn't have said it better myself!

Ditto for me. Some of these job listings sound like sometimes they were written by people that didn't have much of a clue to start. On the other hand, some are more of a wish list but it always boils down to who was the best out of who applied. It's basically like being graded on a bell curve. If the ask for the mansion and the summer home but people only brought a couple of condos, they'll pick the person with the beach front property.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Work on getting your CCNP !!
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Work on getting your CCNP !!

Even with this and nothing else you will have grief trying to get in the door for a networking job. The same could be said for just having a degree or just having some experience. The higher level jobs attract lots of applicants (espcially these days where the number of jobs are getting even more limited) and those with the lesser experience/qualifications/certs are weeded from the pile quite early on.

Think of it this way. Imagine someone with a very busy job normally but now they have to select applicants for interview. They have a large pile of applications to go through and little time to do it as you still have to finish all your other work as well. Now think how you would quickly chop that pile down to a handfull of candidates for interview. How much time would you spend looking (cursory glancing through specific areas of the CV) at each of those initial applications ? (10 seconds typically) Remember that most times, this job is put off and put off again, until the last minute when you simply have run out of time and must do it now even though you have a loads of other work to be done before you can go home. This is the reality of it.

Experience is the key, and lots of it so the sooner your start the better. Don't expect to get a cert / degree and walk into a higher level role and bypass the beginner roles. You may get lucky but 8/10 times you won't and you will just demoralise yourself. There are plenty of people way ahead of you trying to get those roles. With the current climate, there are also plenty of people lookng for work and willing to come down to these jobs just for a job as well.

Helpdesk or pure NOC would be a good place to start. Not saying these are basic jobs but if you have none or very little experience, these should be the places you are heading for and start climbing up from as is expected. Helpdesk roles are quite general where you learn a great many skills (not necessarily techie skills) about the profession. From there you can easily branch off (after at least 18 months) to PC, Server, DBA, Unix, Networking, etc.

Pure NOCs are similar to Helpdesk but are harder to get and you will be lucky if you are located near one. NOCs generally don't deal with the end user but more with IT techies and an experienced NOC agent could quite easily move into a higher pure networking role with the correct certs. If you are interested in the Networking field, it would be well worth relocating yourself for a job in a NOC if armed only with a CCNA.

IT support is definately a profession where you have to pay your dues with several years in the lower level roles. Talent, knowledge, work ethic and desire just help you climb faster. Don't be afraid to change jobs after 2-3 years if your not getting promoted internally as fast as you would like once you have done the initial 18 months - 2 years. No Really ! Don't ! You will regret it down the road.
    Kam.
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Kaminsky (or anyone with grounds to answer), what would you consider my options to be, looking a year down the road when I have graduated; a BSc (Hons) including a year in industry as a network analyst and a CCNA? The internship was with a network security company who provide managed security solutions to mainly SME's.

When I was looking for what degree to do I was adamant I needed to do a placement for the very problems all newcomers face in this industry and probably many others. I've tried to do everything I can to separate myself from the pack, and think for a fresh graduate my CV will look fairly attractive. What do you think, seeing as you are UK based too?

Sorry for the hijack, saves having another thread.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Neeko wrote: »
    Kaminsky (or anyone with grounds to answer), what would you consider my options to be, looking a year down the road when I have graduated; a BSc (Hons) including a year in industry as a network analyst and a CCNA? The internship was with a network security company who provide managed security solutions to mainly SME's.

When I was looking for what degree to do I was adamant I needed to do a placement for the very problems all newcomers face in this industry and probably many others. I've tried to do everything I can to separate myself from the pack, and think for a fresh graduate my CV will look fairly attractive. What do you think, seeing as you are UK based too?

Sorry for the hijack, saves having another thread.

I would suggest using the contacts you got from your placement and try to get your initial couple of years with them. You might try looking for apprenticeships straight out of university as well. If you are already thinking a year ahead you might try some feeler letters out to specific organisations you would like to work for now. It would certainly show willing and you might be cheaper than other options these companys might have.

Hopefully, the economic crisis might be turning the corner by the time you finish but you can't count on it. The Wall Street crash and great depression of the 30s was only halted by the start of the second world war so this could go on for a while.
    Kam.
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    I would suggest using the contacts you got from your placement and try to get your initial couple of years with them. You might try looking for apprenticeships straight out of university as well. If you are already thinking a year ahead you might try some feeler letters out to specific organisations you would like to work for now. It would certainly show willing and you might be cheaper than other options these companys might have.

Hopefully, the economic crisis might be turning the corner by the time you finish but you can't count on it. The Wall Street crash and great depression of the 30s was only halted by the start of the second world war so this could go on for a while.

My placement company isn't an option. Not only will they not be needing anyone, they don't use any Cisco hardware at all because the customer base consists of relatively small businesses.

I really need Cisco experience in order to pursue the CCNP and head in that direction, but unless I find a specific Cisco junior role which isn't likely in the current climate as you've described, I can't see too many options. I'll certainly look for graduate schemes, but unless I can find something Cisco oriented I won't be too interested.