couple of RedHat questions!!

canaancanaan Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have 2 Linux questions. I appreciate any help- I'm a Linux "rookie".

1- I'm installing RedHat 9. I boot off the floppy disk. When I'm prompted for the location of the installation file(CD, Hard drive, FTS? HTTP, FTP),
I choose CD ROM which has the "shrike-i386-disc1.iso", but it doesn't see it. It says " no redhat installation was found". I tried different CDs

2. We have RedHat 6 ftp server running without the GUI interface. How can I find out if the IP address is manually assigned or automatic and where is the file that's holding the IP address.

I will be replacing the old Redhat 6 ftp server with a new Redhat 9.0 FTP.
Should I setup REdhat 9 as a server or I can get way with setting it as standalone(it's outside the firewall). Is there any issues I should know??

Thank you VERY much for any input.
Sincerely

Comments

• BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. Are you trying to duel boot with any other OS, or is the drive blank and this is occuring after format? Is there any damage done to the cd? How about getting a copy of Fedora?

2. Release the IP address of the FTP server and then renew. If the address doesn't renew, then most likely you do not have DHCP running, but try a couple of times just to make sure the DHCP server is no done or anything.

Good luck
  • superflyzx3superflyzx3 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off did you burn the CD correctly? That's sometime the easiest mistake to make when dealing with .isos, also to find out if you have a static IP you don’t have to release the IP address form the machine. Look the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts folder, you should see a file called ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever interface you are using) this has all the information about your IP address for you NIC card.
  • BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SuperFly, thanks. I knew there was another way, but for some reason I can never remember my etc paths of the top of my head. Guess I need to start using Linux a little more.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    If you are pointing to an .iso image, then you need to burn another cd. If you are using something like roxio...select burn from image...then point it to the .iso image on your hard drive. This will extract everything you need and burn it to the cd in the correct format. Depending on what version of Linux you are creating cds for, there will be multiple .iso images....meaning multiple cds....Once these are burned correctly and you have a newish computer (set to boot from cd) you can boot to the first cd and bypass the floppy drive. Hope this helps....

Also, if you just want to run a version of Linux to mess around and learn...download Knoppix. When you burn that image, you create a bootable linux cd. I carry this around with me. If a computer can boot to cdrom...you can run the Knoppix cd...do all the commands you need...mount the drives.....connect to the network...Then when you are done just shut it down and remove the cd and reboot it to the OS that is on the computer. It does not change anything. It only runs from the CD and the Ram.

Hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good calls Ten9t6 icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007