Options

Written test for job

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've received an email today for a job that I applied to last week, I’ve been invited to come in for a written test on Wednesday & if I "pass" then I will be called in for a face to face interview with the Manager. This testing on Wednesday is a 60-90min test.

My question is, is this normal procedure? I've never met with headhunters before.
What kind of general questions can I expect? I know some of them will be related to the position, but is there anything that I should be watching out for?

I just don't want to waste my time to drive there and then spend the 60-90mins if it is just going to be a waste of my time
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Is it a real position or is it Robert Half wanting you to come and test to fill out their database? I've had that problem with RH. For another job though, back when I was working tech support, I came in and sat for a test which was basically like taking the A+ 2003 version, which was even before I got my A+ certification. I passed and was immediately ushered in for an interview with a team lead which involved more technical questions of a more involved nature, and then an offer was made on the spot. Was any mention of the format of the testing mentioned? As in are you sure it is going to be technical or could it be a personality test? I've had a few companies have me fill out a few short tests when submitting applications as well. So I wouldn't say it is standard but not necessarily a red flag either.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I've had Kelly services give me a written test. It was just basic A+ and Windows questions. I say just go over some of the older Windows stuff such as formatting in DOS and how to get to the device manager in various versions of windows. How to add a printer via add remove and basic stuff like that. Just be ready for old stuff, the place they tested me at used windows 2000 which wasn't that old but they had the dos stuff in there. The syntax for dos wasn't my strongest area so I just like to mention it(I'm a Linux guy when it comes to terminal stuff)
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    There's an exam for when I applied at JTAC. Any team you go to they have you take an exam. I took one for the SSL-VPN team, and then later for the router/IPG team when I moved teams.

To me it helped weed out the none serious people and saved ppl time from doing wasteful interviews.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Here is a snippet from the email I received:

We received your resume and have selected you to write our preliminary employment test System/Network Administrator. It will be a group test and the test itself is a written exam. The questions will directly relate to the job description title.

You are required to come to our offices on XYZ in ZYX to write the test. It will take you approximately 60 to 90 minutes to complete the test. If the test mark is acceptable you will be called in for a verbal interview with the manager of the team.

Please confirm with me via e-mail if you are available on Wednesday, April 8/09 @ 3:00 pm to approximately 4:30 pm.

Feel free to dress casually as we do not observe a dress code here at CaseWare.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tin_Man wrote: »
    I've received an email today for a job that I applied to last week, I’ve been invited to come in for a written test on Wednesday & if I "pass" then I will be called in for a face to face interview with the Manager. This testing on Wednesday is a 60-90min test.

My question is, is this normal procedure? I've never met with headhunters before.
    What kind of general questions can I expect? I know some of them will be related to the position, but is there anything that I should be watching out for?

I just don't want to waste my time to drive there and then spend the 60-90mins if it is just going to be a waste of my time

i had this happen to me....i passed the written test, then they called me in for the face-to-face, which was actually a video conference....and that was last week thursday...i'm just waiiting to hear back from them.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    undomiel wrote: »
    Is it a real position or is it Robert Half wanting you to come and test to fill out their database? I've had that problem with RH. For another job though, back when I was working tech support, I came in and sat for a test which was basically like taking the A+ 2003 version, which was even before I got my A+ certification. I passed and was immediately ushered in for an interview with a team lead which involved more technical questions of a more involved nature, and then an offer was made on the spot. Was any mention of the format of the testing mentioned? As in are you sure it is going to be technical or could it be a personality test? I've had a few companies have me fill out a few short tests when submitting applications as well. So I wouldn't say it is standard but not necessarily a red flag either.

I have had the same experience with BPO here in my country. They phoned me on initial interview then scheduled me for a test. I did commute for about 2 hours just to give it a try. The first question the examiner asked is if I already have a Taleo account. and say's the account is the most important. When I've read about your post "RH filling out their database" It made mes start to think about the possibility. what's your take about Taleo?
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options

Just bear in mind, you can't be sure of anything. Be optimistic. icon_wink.gif

good luck on your job hunt.
  • Options
    No take on Taleo really. If I remember correctly there was one company I applied for that was working through Taleo. I had to fill out a bunch of test-like questions in the application. Apparently I passed the screening as I went on several interviews though ultimately did not get the position. I haven't had any Taleo recruiters really bothering me though I've applied for a few companies through them.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    No take on Taleo really. If I remember correctly there was one company I applied for that was working through Taleo. I had to fill out a bunch of test-like questions in the application. Apparently I passed the screening as I went on several interviews though ultimately did not get the position. I haven't had any Taleo recruiters really bothering me though I've applied for a few companies through them.

I just feel upset about the this BPO's hiring process. They just gave me a 20 min. behavioral test and they say I failed. I applied for IT Support so I've made a lot of preparations in anticipation of a technical test. It's really a waste of time.

to all readers: pardon with my grammar I'm working on it.
  • Options
    Ahhh a personality test. Those are a load of crap in my opinion. Filters out a lot of people who can do the work and do the work well, and lets people slip through the cracks who know how to manipulate a personality test. Put the guy on some live hands-on problems and see how he works. That'll let you (the employer) know how this candidate will fit in the position.
  • Options
    I got thinking today. Would it be wrong of me to try and find out what the salary range is before I go and write the test? I mean if I'm going to drive an hr then write a 60-90min test then drive another hr home, I would like to know that it's going to be worth it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I got thinking today. Would it be wrong of me to try and find out what the salary range is before I go and write the test? I mean if I'm going to drive an hr then write a 60-90min test then drive another hr home, I would like to know that it's going to be worth it.

I would for sure. Whats the point of wasting your time?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

You will never know until you try it. If you don't go you lose a chance of getting a job.
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Kinda funny that you put XYZ and ZYX in for the company name and location, when at the end you have listed "CaseWare."

:)
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    This isn't new, I had to take two tests when I went to work for ma bell back in the 90's. The first was an electronics test on analog to digital gateways, conversions, and algebra. The 2nd was a test on how well you read directions on going from point a to point b. I passed both tests. After I was hired I found out the tests were there to weed people out how already worked at bell in the non-technical areas which payed less than the technical side. To move up the ladder so to speak then they needed to pass these tests.
  • Options
    Well I received an email back this morning about the salary range, and it's 10k less than what I'm currently making. So I've decided to pass on this one.