Options

I took the exam today and...

Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed with a 796. I'm extremely happy I passed, but can't help but be slightly disappointed by not scoring over 800 (small personal goal of mine). But as they say, a pass is a pass and I'm definitely not complaining.

The only book I used for this one was the MSpress book. I also used the technotes from this site and looked things up on Technet for a better explanation of certain things. I also put in many long hours on my home lab. Overall, I studied off and on for 3 months.

I would like to point out that the MeasureUp practice test engine that comes with the MSpress book has questions that are alot harder than the actual test itself. I was scoring in the 50 percentile when going through those questions. Every time I thought I mastered a topic, my self esteem would just get crushed after taking those practice tests. Needless to say I was very nervous before taking my exam, but I figured that I had the second shot voucher so what the hell. Not only that, I also heard rumors that the MeasureUp tests are way more detailed than the actual exam. Well, it's true. I say that you should still take the practice tests seriously because they prepare you well for the exam and show you were your weaknesses are.

Now for the exam itself. I took almost 2 hours to complete the test. I had 44 questions total and had 3 or 4 sims. There isn't much more that I can say without breaking the NDA so just know all the basics that everyone says to know. Mostly permissions, terminal services, groups, ADUC, backups, and system & performance monitoring. Those are the topics I got tested on the most.

Now on to 70-291. Thanks to everyone on this forum I am now scared shitless about this next exam called "The Beast". I haven't failed an exam yet, but for some reason I'm thinking that this will be the first one.
AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology

Comments

• Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Congratulations. 796 is a good score.

Don't be freaked out by 291. The test itself really isn't bad. It's very straight forward in fact. The questions aren't tricky at all, they're very direct. The studying is the hardest part simply because it covers a large breadth of material. Just be sure to understand the material before you go into the exam and you'll be fine.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    The Manassa MaulerThe Manassa Mauler Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the exam. I recently took the 70-270 and now I am studying for the 70-290. I am currently using VMWare workstation as a testing lab and using TestOut as study material. I haven’t yet scheduled a date for the test. I want to make sure I know my stuff before I go in there and take it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    aquageek wrote: »

Don't be freaked out by 291. The test itself really isn't bad. It's very straight forward in fact. The questions aren't tricky at all, they're very direct. The studying is the hardest part simply because it covers a large breadth of material. Just be sure to understand the material before you go into the exam and you'll be fine.

Agreed.

I failed the first attempt of 291 because frankly I was unprepared.

I went back after 3 months intense study and nailed it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    f3z81f3z81 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aquageek wrote: »

Ill second/third that, I found the questions very straight forward too.

I was dreading the 291, I had done binary before when doing my degree, but when I first seen the subnetting and the binary stuff in the 291, I didn’t think I was going to get through it, but after some serious studding I got to grips with it.

I personally found the 291 easier than the 290, although I was better prepared for the 291 than I was for the 290, I done much more reading and general studding for it.

One quick point, I spent a long time studding the subnetting stuff, being very comfortable with the binary conversions and working out which sub net the each computer/server was on, only to be asked 2 questions on it in the exam. Although that knowledge did come in handy for the 284 - exchange exam (its questions on routing/networking, was much harder than the 291's).
    2011:

CCNA April / May (Hopefully)

ITIL v3
    Prince2
    MCTS Windows 7

Then Rest! :thumbup: