Options

Question on Practice Exam

BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the 70-270 practice exam on this site and I am a bit confused by the answer to this question, which would explain why I got it wrong.
6. You are the adminstrator at a small company running Windows 2003 servers and Windows XP clients. You have created and shared a new printer on one of the Windows XP clients. You want to assign permissions so only users from the Sales group can print and manage their own documents. You want Jacob to be able to manages all print jobs. Which of the following tasks should you perform? (Choose all the apply.)
a. Deny all print permissions to the Everyone group.
b. Remove the Everyone group from the list.
c. Add Jacob and assign the user Allow Manage Documents permissions.
d. Add Jacob and assign the user Allow Manage Printers permissions.
e. Add the Sales group and allow it Print permissions.
f. Add the Sales group and allow it Manage Documents permissions.

The answers given were B,C,E. I immediately eliminated "A" because deny for everyone would kill all printing. It was my understanding, reading from various materials that MS does not consider removing the Everyone group to be best practice, so I eliminated "B". Answer "C" was a good choice, because Jacob needed to manage. "D" is not good because Jacob is only given manage rights to one printer, the printer instead of all of them. "E" I went with because the Sales group needs to print. "F" I also went with because the also need to manage, but according to the answers given, but it is wrong.

If you are given print permissions, does that mean you get to manage your own print jobs? Is that the reason why the "F" would be wrong? Also, have I read wrong about removing the everyone group?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you are given print permissions, does that mean you get to manage your own print jobs? Is that the reason why the "F" would be wrong? Also, have I read wrong about removing the everyone group?
    Yes, yes, and most definitely icon_wink.gif (it is even required in this situation to get the desired results: "only users from the Sales...")
  • Options
    Thanks, I am relly beating myself up over these issues with permissions. Since this is my first MS exam, I am now wondering what I will be allowed to bring in the room with me. It gets a little tricky at times trying to sort our seperate groups and permissions in your head, will they give me some paper or at least an eraseable marker and slate? The previous tests I have taken, they gave me a slate and marker, but you could not erase the marker, it had to be washed off. I have a feeling I am going to have to map alot of my questions out.

Thanks again for the help
  • Options
    allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    B,C,E is the correct answer.

B - You need to remove everyone group from the list or uncheck all allow boxes in Everyone group.
    C - You need to allow Manage Documents to Jacob.
    E - You need to add and allow Sales group Print permissions. The Print permission allows users to print and manage his or her own print jobs.

So E is correct answer. I hope this could help...
    :D
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Options
    Thank you. As I was writing this, I realized that print also gave you the permission to manage your own print jobs.

Man, I can't wait to get this test over with and move on.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You're welcome.

As with many techie-topics, it is better to understand permissions than to remember them. If you understand the 'why' the answer is often logical. Actually setting permissions and trying out different combinations is important, but you can practice it also by making up your own scenarios. (no this is not an attempt to get people to write practice questions ;) )