Options

Is this lab kit good enough to study for CCNA?

Pokers HardPokers Hard Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I have decided to study up for the CCNA exam and am wondering what lab kit would do for me. I don't want to get anything I don't really need and would like to save money so I checked ebay. Is the kit below any good?

Cisco CCNA CCNP 2500 2501 Series Router 1900 Switch Lab - eBay (item 110364083258 end time Apr-13-09 14:50:10 PDT)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nope.

Check the CCNA FAQ (or any of the other numerous lab threads which can be found with a search) as to why it is not good enough.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Nope.

Check the CCNA FAQ (or any of the other numerous lab threads which can be found with a search) as to why it is not good enough.

Okay I tried reading as to why it's not good, or good enough, for my needs and could not really see why, but perhaps that is because I am not far enough into reading to know my needs quite yet.

How about these then (please try to keep to cheapest for what I need for CCNA and perhaps that might help for CCNP as well):

Dual 2501 & 2520 16/16 Router & dual 1924 Switch CCNA Kit
    Dual 2501 & 2520 8/8 Router & Dual 2924 Switch CCNA Kit
    Dual 2501 & 2520 16/16 Router & dual 2924 Switch CCNA Kit

Thanks!
    Fernando
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Read through those links above, good stuff there.

I just wanted to also ask you, what are your goals? Why the CCNA? What is your technical background?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll want 2950 or 2960 switches. Maxed out 25xx routers with a newer IOS will do most of what you need. You could always look into dynamips/dynagen if you have access to IOS images and put your money into switches.
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Read through those links above, good stuff there.

I just wanted to also ask you, what are your goals? Why the CCNA? What is your technical background?

Well I am a senior in political science (in last semester), but I don't know if I'm quite ready for law school or what right now as I play poker full time for my job. So for me it would be more of a have something waiting for me type thing as I would keep moving on to other certs since I have a lot of time where I am just bored or partying which I think I could use in a more productive manner (and get my girlfriend off my back).

I started college majoring in information systems security but stopped because I didn't really learn anything the first two semesters (I used to be a computer nerd when I was younger, but got into sports and other things and forgot a lot after I changed majors). So it's been like 6+ years since I have really been into computers, but still remember a little bit in relations to linux and what not.

I have a cousin who works for Embarq as CCNA and makes a good living and think it would be a good thing for me as well.

Anyways, which link exactly should I be focusing on as I am looking around yet I see different model routers/switches. Is this to say that I am looking completely at the wrong stuff?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    If you flip through the link adove long enough, you'll see the 19xx switches are not on the exam, and they work nothing like the switches you need for the exam. At least 1 2950 switch should be on your list, more would be better but people often cut corners and buy 1 2950 and a couple 2924s. I wouldn't recommend that, having done that myself.

There will be labs where you will need fast ethernet ports on your router, I believe the 2610 was what I used. Snag one of those and a couple 2501s.

There are step up models on ebay sometimes for the same price, so just compare the features and make sure not to end up with any 1900 series switches or token ring equipment.

Okay I tried reading as to why it's not good, or good enough, for my needs and could not really see why, but perhaps that is because I am not far enough into reading to know my needs quite yet.

How about these then (please try to keep to cheapest for what I need for CCNA and perhaps that might help for CCNP as well):

Dual 2501 & 2520 16/16 Router & dual 1924 Switch CCNA Kit
    Dual 2501 & 2520 8/8 Router & Dual 2924 Switch CCNA Kit
    Dual 2501 & 2520 16/16 Router & dual 2924 Switch CCNA Kit

Thanks!
    Fernando
    -Daniel
  • Options
    If you flip through the link adove long enough, you'll see the 19xx switches are not on the exam, and they work nothing like the switches you need for the exam. At least 1 2950 switch should be on your list, more would be better but people often cut corners and buy 1 2950 and a couple 2924s. I wouldn't recommend that, having done that myself.

There will be labs where you will need fast ethernet ports on your router, I believe the 2610 was what I used. Snag one of those and a couple 2501s.

There are step up models on ebay sometimes for the same price, so just compare the features and make sure not to end up with any 1900 series switches or token ring equipment.

So then the dual 2501 router and dual 2924 switch kit ($309 or $339) will work and maybe add one 2610 for fast ethernet?
  • Options
    So then the dual 2501 router and dual 2950 switch kit ($309 or $339) will work and maybe add one 2610 for fast ethernet?

I would feel good with that purchase, mind you, you will still need power cables, console cables, cross over cables, DCE/DTE cables and a couple of old computers with serial ports to test connectivity.

All on ebay for pretty cheap.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I would feel good with that purchase, mind you, you will still need power cables, console cables, cross over cables, DCE/DTE cables and a couple of old computers with serial ports to test connectivity.

All on ebay for pretty cheap.

Does the RAM size make a big difference for my needs? The kit includes power cables and console cables and console cable adapters so that will help a bit. By the way I tried messaging you on AIM hoping you were available and could speak in real time, let me know if you can!

As for older computers.... FML I have none :-[ This is going to get expensive huh! :-p
  • Options
    brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no need for old pc's just use the 'keepalive" command...
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would look on ebay at the 2600XM series router. You can get a better deal than you think. Make sure it has enough memory to support to SDM feature so you can play around with that a bit. Alot of people are all about the GNS and dynamip stuff, but nothing beats the actual hands on hardware to me. I would also get 2 2950 switches with enhanced images. You can always sell your lab after you done with it and get your money back.
  • Options
    no need for old pc's just use the 'keepalive" command...

Thanks! That helped. :)
  • Options
    Well reconsidering, is it possible to study for CCNA just fine with two 2501 router and one 2924 switch instead of the two 2924 switches?
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I've seen 2501's go for 99 cents on ebay. Unsure about the RAM and such on those, but 300+ sounds high to me.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I've seen 2501's go for 99 cents on ebay. Unsure about the RAM and such on those, but 300+ sounds high to me.

It's $300+ for 2 routers and 2 switches and other materials on CD, cram sheet, and FTP access and stuff.

I would like to do the $309 (2 2501 and 2 2924 switches with 8/8 memory). Is 8/8 enough?

Is the 2924 in the kit the same as http://www.ciscokits.com/cisco-2924m-switch/

Looks a bit bigger alone?
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I'd stay away from 2924 switches, unless you want to use one as a third switch. I have two 2950's and one 2924-XL-EN. The problem is the commands are a bit different on the 2924 from the 2950's.

Also try and get 2520's maxed out. You can find this stuff on ebay rather cheap. That is unless someone bids it up on you.
  • Options
    Well here's the deal with the Ebay situation. I don't know about IOS and stuff yet so I want to be sure that all hardware flows well with each other and some stuff I read said to be sure they are compliant with one another. If someone has AIM and could help me find stuff on ebay to buy a small lab for myself please let me know.

xxcrozxx is my aim.
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    msethk wrote: »
    I would look on ebay at the 2600XM series router. You can get a better deal than you think. Make sure it has enough memory to support to SDM feature so you can play around with that a bit.

I second that motion.
  • Options
    tim100 wrote: »
    I second that motion.

How much RAM for SDM function?
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    How much RAM for SDM function?

If you are going to build a lab go with 2611XM Routers with 128D/32F.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So it's been like 6+ years since I have really been into computers, but still remember a little bit in relations to linux and what not.

I have a cousin who works for Embarq as CCNA and makes a good living and think it would be a good thing for me as well.

Since you're just starting out, you might want to get just one low cost router and then build from there.

CISCO 2500 SERIES ROUTER / SWITCH 2501 - eBay (item 160309116009 end time Apr-09-09 20:00:00 PDT)

Have you done much reading on the CCNA yet? That's usually a good way to start.
  • Options
    LT72884LT72884 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Find one like this. This is mine. Im thinking of selling it for like 1200$ with books

2610 router with 12.4 ios
    2650xm router
    2650 router
    2 X 2900 series switches
    1 2950 switch
    a dumb switch
    A movable 24 u cabinet on wheels with lockable door
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, it sounds like you want to do CCNA and only that. Guess what, you don't really need a lab at all!

That's my opinion though, but I know alot of others as well with just packet tracer and the Lammle book or whatever who got by just fine : )

Maybe when you learn some of the stuff, you're gonna know what you really need for a lab that suits your goals and ambitions.
  • Options
    mens wrote: »
    Hey, it sounds like you want to do CCNA and only that. Guess what, you don't really need a lab at all!

That's my opinion though, but I know alot of others as well with just packet tracer and the Lammle book or whatever who got by just fine : )

Maybe when you learn some of the stuff, you're gonna know what you really need for a lab that suits your goals and ambitions.

No I will go on from there. CCNA is just the beginning. I have a lot of free time so might as well put good use to it!
  • Options
    mens wrote: »

Packet tracer rocks. i love it. but it is hard to do ccnp stuff on it though. Only certain routers can handle vlans and etc etc..
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    LT72884 wrote: »
    Packet tracer rocks. i love it. but it is hard to do ccnp stuff on it though. Only certain routers can handle vlans and etc etc..
    Yup. Packet Tracer is designed to cater for students in the CCNA course at the NetAcad. It doesn't do most of things you need to do for CCNP.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Yup. Packet Tracer is designed to cater for students in the CCNA course at the NetAcad. It doesn't do most of things you need to do for CCNP.
    LOL yeah i found that out the hard way. Doing CCNP stuff was really hard on packet tracer. I really dont want to take the ccnp
  • Options
    w4nn4b1337w4nn4b1337 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone!

I have decided to study up for the CCNA exam and am wondering what lab kit would do for me. I don't want to get anything I don't really need and would like to save money so I checked ebay. Is the kit below any good?

Cisco CCNA CCNP 2500 2501 Series Router 1900 Switch Lab - eBay (item 110364083258 end time Apr-13-09 14:50:10 PDT)

Thanks in advance!

Negative, don't buy.. 1900 series switches use the CatOS which use different command structure and is no longer on the CCNA. You will need switches that use the Cisco IOS. Be careful of this as there are lot of cheap Cisco switches out there for sale that do not support the Cisco IOS. The budget layer 2 switch I would purchase is the 2924. The 2950 may be ok for the CCNA but I am finding it useless for the CCNP.

The 2500 series routers are way out of date and have 10baseT ethernet ports. I don't believe they support IPv6 as well. However, you will be able to configure most dynamic routing protocols on the latest CCNA exam. I would get at least one 2600 series switch with 100baseT ports though. Apparantly you can't create sub interfaces for VLAN routing on a 10baseT router port. (I apologize if I am incorrect but I couldn't find any information contrary.)

In my opinion you'll need at least 3 switches and 3 routers. At least one of your routers will need to have a fast ethernet port (100baseT) port for routing between VLAN's. Also, you won't be able to really see dynamic routing protocols work with only 2 switches. Although that really has little to do with what devices to buy.
    What i recommend at the very least is 3x 2620 routers with 1x fast ethernet port and T1 WIC's. (I highly recommend getting routers with 2 fa ports.) They will likely have smart serial cables so you will also need at least 2 DCE smart serial cables but I would get 3 for creating redundant paths.

Along with your usual study guides I highly recommend the O'reily Cisco Cookbook as it has a tremendous amount of tips and hints. One that I benefited directly on the CCNA is how to have a router mimic a frame relay cloud. (The configuration begins on page 380)

I hope this helps but you at least want switches that support a more current version of the Cisco IOS. As for routers you will want routers with 100baseT fast ethernet ports. If they don't have T1 WIC's with CSU/DSU's then you'll need to purchase a few pairs of CSU/DSU's and T1 jumpers with at least pins 1,2,4 and 5 terminated to connect the CSU/DSU's. (purchasing the T1 WIC's are a bit cheaper and a lot easier to work with.)

The "deal" you found on Ebay is somebody trying to unload their old junk. It is useless for the newer CCNA exams Don't buy!
    ::Something funny ironic goes here::
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    w4nn4b1337 wrote: »
    Negative, don't buy.. 1900 series switches use the CatOS which use different command structure and is no longer on the CCNA.
    Catalyst 1900 switches ran their own firmware with an IOS like command line interface. They didn't have CatOS or IOS.
    The budget layer 2 switch I would purchase is the 2924. The 2950 may be ok for the CCNA but I am finding it useless for the CCNP.
    The 2950 is the lowest one you should buy. There are a bunch of changes from a 2900XL to a 2950 that are relevant for the CCNA. The biggest one would be VLANs.

You need a 3550 or better for the CCNP as well as a couple 2950s for the CCNP. They're not useless for the CCNP. Obviously you can buy all 3550s if you prefer and have the money.
    I would get at least one 2600 series switch with 100baseT ports though. Apparantly you can't create sub interfaces for VLAN routing on a 10baseT router port. (I apologize if I am incorrect but I couldn't find any information contrary.)
    You can do "router on a stick" i.e. 802.1q with a 2610/2611/2612 on the internal 10baseT ports if you have 12.2.2T or better with the IP Plus featureset. It only works with the built in ports. The ports you get from a NM-1E for example won't do 802.1q.
    What i recommend at the very least is 3x 2620 routers with 1x fast ethernet port and T1 WIC's. (I highly recommend getting routers with 2 fa ports.)
    If you have the money to spare then getting a 2600XM instead of a regular 2600 will be better. The 2600XM has all fast Ethernet ports and they can run 12.4 or 12.4.15T
    They will likely have smart serial cables so you will also need at least 2 DCE smart serial cables but I would get 3 for creating redundant paths.
    WIC-1T = 1x DB60 socket
    WIC-2T = 2x Smart Serial sockets
    If they don't have T1 WIC's with CSU/DSU's then you'll need to purchase a few pairs of CSU/DSU's and T1 jumpers with at least pins 1,2,4 and 5 terminated to connect the CSU/DSU's. (purchasing the T1 WIC's are a bit cheaper and a lot easier to work with.)
    You don't need a CSU/DSU with the WIC-1T/WIC-2T cards. You can buy DCE-DTE cables with the relevant plugs on the ends.

If you can get a deal on WIC-1DSU-T1 cards then you can use those instead of WIC-1T/WIC-2T cards. Make sure you buy the relevant version of the WIC-1DSU-T1 though for the router you want to use them in.
    The "deal" you found on Ebay is somebody trying to unload their old junk. It is useless for the newer CCNA exams Don't buy!
    Yup
  • Options
    Well can someone please direct me to a good kit? I was under the impression Ciscokits sold good stuff! I just want some hardware to mess with while I study for CCNA.