should i follow up with Network+ (sorry if its long)

gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys....im in a training program for my CCNA and they are using the Network+ book by Mike Meyers. We are going to be use 11 of the 17 chapters of this book as a background for those who are new to networking then we are going to move into a CCNA book and simulations, etc for CCNA. My program is paying for everything as far as books, simulations, the cost of the CCNA test, etc. I thought that we were going to be getting our Network+ cert then going to get the CCNA but after meeting last night i was told that we are only going for CCNA and using the Network+ as a reference tool and that my instructor (who has a vast knowledge and pretty much all of the CCNA and Microsoft certs) said that its not really needed to get my network+ since i will be getting my CCNA. What does the board think? A little background about me: I recently graduated with my bachelors in Management Information Systems and am currently finishing up my internship (which who is paying for this program/cert). I have 2 yrs experience (Tier 1 and 2 tech support on proprietary system), about a year doing basic setup of computers for faculty at my school and working on my friends, family and school mates computers doing basic stuff like repair, virus/spyware removal, upgrades, etc. My internship will be over in December so I am looking for a job and hoping that these certs will aid in the search. I eventually want to do Network/System Admin but am willing to start at a lower level. After getting my CCNA, do u think i should go back and finish studying for Network+ or should i just look forward. Thank for your help.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    (sorry if its long)

Don't worry about it; I frequently have to make the same apology ;)

I don't see the Network+ adding anything of value to your CCNA, especially with your experience. You could put the time and money towards one of the CCNA specializations instead.
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Don't worry about it; I frequently have to make the same apology ;)

I don't see the Network+ adding anything of value to your CCNA, especially with your experience. You could put the time and money towards one of the CCNA specializations instead.

Lol....thanks on both accounts. I guess i am worried since i dont have real experience in networking or real "IT" experience that i was thinking/hoping that the extra cert will help me get my foot in the door so i can move up
  • RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol....thanks on both accounts. I guess i am worried since i dont have real experience in networking or real "IT" experience that i was thinking/hoping that the extra cert will help me get my foot in the door so i can move up

I would not say that all. You gained something just as important in my opinion, which is "IT Customer Service", which is half the battle. It does not seem like a lot, but everyone starts somewhere.