Options

Working on your co-workers computers.

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
How do you guys deflect working on your co-worker computers without **** people off?

There have been a few that have come and asked me questions. I’m more than happy to answer them when I have time, but I get the feeling that them asking me to work on their machine is right around the corner.

Of course I could say no, but some of them have been upper management.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a difficult thing to balance, particularly when it's upper management. Around here it's a stated policy that we only support company owned equipment and network connections. If it's someone important, and it's a problem that hinders their ability to work from home from their computer, we've had people help them out, but it's been rare.

I think it's acceptable to state that when you moonlight in PC repair your going rate is $XX per hour, or to just say that you're really busy outside of work and that you really don't have the time to give them the service they deserve or some crap like that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always send them to a guy I go to church with or another local company. I really don't want to spend time cleaning up spyware infested machines on my personal time, and most people can understand that.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I usually tell them that my hourly rate is $65 per hour, if they still want me to work on it after that, then I do. Most of the time, I end up working on it and it's usually a malware problem, so it's an easy way to have a nice night out the next night for my wife and I or a new game or something that I might want.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Most people usually ask if I do work on the side first before asking if I'll work on their computer. My stock response is that I don't because I'm busy doing __________. I fill in the blank with whatever is going on at that time. Be it studying, coaching my son's baseball team, fixing the boat, whatever. Most people including upper management understand that you have a life to lead outside of work and won't be upset by your not working on their personal computer. I will occasionally help someone out, but never a co-worker. Do it for one and everyone will expect it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I only fix/repair computers for the family. They have to buy the hardware. Other than that, my time is NOT free. I charge $80.00/hr with a 2 hour minimum. My mom was wanting me to look at some of her neighbors computers a few year back. I set her straight real fast. She was a little annoyed at first but then later I think she understood. I have a lot in my life I still want to do and spending my free time in front of a monitor is not one of them.

I work to live, I don't live to work.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    drainey wrote: »
    I will occasionally help someone out, but never a co-worker. Do it for one and everyone will expect it.

Ya, I haven't yet, but that's kind of what I thought would happen.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    The biggest problem is someone will want/need help that you don't want or have time to give and they'll get all upset when you say no because "you help everyone else" and that usually leads to all kinds of headaches at work you just don't need.

Last pc I worked on was, naturally, full of malware. Put in 3 hours reinstalling os and all applications. It was for the CFO of a softball/baseball bat mfg co. Got $80 cash and a new bat for my son. Which worked out nicely, especially as he didn't get mad when I told him he was going to lose some data.

I used to do work on the side all the time but I've gotten really picky on who I help. Got tired of having to deal with people who trash their OS, don't do backups and then hate me cause I can't save their data.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i do that all the time u want upper management on your side