Options

Passed 290

C4jun000C4jun000 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. This site has been invaluable for me. From the TechNotes section to everyone here posting their training methods, materials and comments.

I passed 290 Friday with a score of 808. I used the Sybex book along with CBT Nuggets and also TestOut. Not to mention countless hours of VMWare time in Server 2k3. I have seen a lot of comments about CBT vs TestOut and here are my thoughts. I liked them both actually for different reasons. CBT went in to some great in-depth detail while TestOut's sims helped out a lot as well. I also like the facts sheets built in to TestOut. They make for a great study guide afterwards.

As for practice tests I used MeasureUp and also SelfTest. I can tell you this on both of those. Don't let your scores get you down or discouraged. I was consistently scoring in the 60s on both. I was extremely nervous by this, but these practice tests go deeper than necessary, but can be used as a good learning tool as well.

Question...I'm moving on to 270 now. I know there is plenty of overlap between 290 and 270, but what are everyone's thoughts (those that have taken both) on the difficulty of those areas between the two? I guess what I'm asking is, will it help me more since I have taken 290 (more detailed?) first rather than 270 in those overlapping areas?

Back to studying...:D

Comments

• Options
    f3z81f3z81 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First off - congrats on your pass!

The good news is there is defo overlap between the two, with the 290 going into more detail in its questions and requiring a better understanding of its content, especially when I comes to shared folders and permissions ect. The bad news is that 270 is not an easy exam by any means, I found it very bitty, in that you need to know all the little details, like exact menu options.

I am finding it hard to remember questions I got or even the topics covered as I sat it back in December and I have since done the 290, 291 & 284. One thing you will be sure to be asked is installation, so be knowledgeable on the differences between the Unattended answer file as its extension changes depending on which way it’s being used, despite the content being the same.

I have the Sybex books for both the MCDST and 270, with the 270 book being about twice the size, and thats with the MCDST book covering two exams, one of the boys that sat the 270 at the same time as me failed it first time round and he had previously had passed both the MCDST exams.
    I am not trying to scare you, as I said there is a lot of overlap between the two, but just trying to highlight that the 270 needs a fair amount of studding in its own right, to be confident with its pernickety questions.

I am sure you will do well, so best of luck with it when it comes.
    2011:

CCNA April / May (Hopefully)

ITIL v3
    Prince2
    MCTS Windows 7

Then Rest! :thumbup:
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.