Options

Losing my job

Well, looks like the company I work for is shutting down the location I currently work at. I got until mid October until we shut the doors unless a miracle happens. We have over 300 people employed currently and everyone is going to be layed off. I have been with the company since they opened up here 4 years ago. Our town is so small I had the only real network job in the city also.

Bad part about it for me and my wife is that she starts nursing school in January and we pay for it out of pocket. That and we bought a brand new 2004 Nissan 350Z 5 days before I found out we were shutting down.

So now I am starting the job hunting. Applied for over 100 jobs so far all across the country and locally. I have about 3 months to find something but I won't be able to finish school now since my current job let me goto school around work.

Good news is I have a job interview next Friday. My friend is a boss for a computer company and he got me an interview. Just so happens that the network guy for his company quit the day I found out about the above. He wasn't certified or anything either, and they have been wanting someone that was CCNA certified. It's a 90 minute 1 way drive, and I will travel alot, but it will pay more than I make now.

I will be putting off doing my MCSE for now (I am in my XP class at school as I type the) to save money in case I have issues finding a job but I will be back to tame the beast soon enough icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    halflife78 wrote:
    That and we bought a brand new 2004 Nissan 350Z 5 days before I found out we were shutting down.

I knew a guy who did the same thing, bought that same car and a month later didn't have a job...I think I will stay with Lexus... icon_cool.gif Anyways, that seems to be the story lately with companies closing...At least you company had the curtiosy to tell you doors are shutting 3 months ahead of time....A place here gave notice they day of....I found that very foul...It could happen to me, you just don't know...You are experiencied, educated and know your stuff, I'm sure once you get in that interview you'll have a job..I wish you the best of luck, and let me know happens!
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awwww...man sorry to hear what's going on with your life and job. These things happen sometimes for the best. You lose one job, but gain a better one. Hope everything works out for you and good luck with everything. :D
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    halflife78 wrote:
    Well, looks like the company I work for is shutting down the location I currently work at. I got until mid October until we shut the doors unless a miracle happens. We have over 300 people employed currently and everyone is going to be layed off. I have been with the company since they opened up here 4 years ago. Our town is so small I had the only real network job in the city also.

Bad part about it for me and my wife is that she starts nursing school in January and we pay for it out of pocket. That and we bought a brand new 2004 Nissan 350Z 5 days before I found out we were shutting down.

So now I am starting the job hunting. Applied for over 100 jobs so far all across the country and locally. I have about 3 months to find something but I won't be able to finish school now since my current job let me goto school around work.

Good news is I have a job interview next Friday. My friend is a boss for a computer company and he got me an interview. Just so happens that the network guy for his company quit the day I found out about the above. He wasn't certified or anything either, and they have been wanting someone that was CCNA certified. It's a 90 minute 1 way drive, and I will travel alot, but it will pay more than I make now.

I will be putting off doing my MCSE for now (I am in my XP class at school as I type the) to save money in case I have issues finding a job but I will be back to tame the beast soon enough icon_thumright.gif

That's a very nice car. Good luck man, hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Best of luck for your future!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    good luck 78....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Sad indeed. But don't lose hope. If dubya wants to get back to business, he'll have to create lots and lots of jobs down there.

Experience and certification is what counts these days. Even gets better when you've got contacts or friends in companies.

Wish you all the best.
    2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you man - I also had a company go out of business on me. It turned out to be the best damn thing that happened to me.

It was a wakeup/kick in the pants to get me motivated and advanced my career. Since then each job I have had in this industry has been bigger and better. I continue to learn and get a better resume as each year progresses and I very much attribute it to the kick in the pants for my company going out.

Looking for jobs sucks and can be stressful especially if you are out of work icon_sad.gif Its great you have a 3 month window so I hope you dont feel too discouraged or stressed.

Keep in mind it can take awhile before you start hearing responses from your resumes. Alot of companies like to keep the doors open for a job to ensure they get a large amount of resumes to choose from. While you may hear back the same week, its not uncommon to hear back a month later. Make sure your resume is pimp and best of luck to ya.
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Good luck on your interview! I am sure everything will work out because it sounds like you have great experience and knowlege. Take care
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Well, I have an interview today and Friday. And your right, even if we don't shutdown since they are looking for other clients I am still leaving. I am at the point I can't advance any further here and I am ready to move forward. I have my 5 years of experience now, actually 1 month from it, so I am at the main point of experience level many companies prefer now.