Options

Newbie Help

joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
Hi all, please bare with me as I am just starting out. I am trying to ping one switch hanging off one interface on the router to another switch hanging off the other interface of the router. Ping does not respond back from one switch to the other. Here is my setup:

Router(3640) int fa0/0 = 10.5.5.155 255.255.255.0
Router(3640) int fa0/1 = 172.16.10.3 255.255.255.0

Switch A = 10.5.5.15 255.255.255.0
Switch B = 172.16.10.5 255.255.255.0

Static route = 10.5.5.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.5
Static route = 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0 10.5.5.15

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you define a default gateway on the switches so that they have someplace to send the traffic that is leaving the local network? And it has to be on both switches so that you can send icmp requests and receive the icmp replies back.

If you did a show ip route before you added the static routes, you probably would have already seen that the router knew about the two connected networks. And you could/should first check your connectivity from the router to each individual switches administrative interface.

And exactly where did you put those static routes?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    must admit my money was on the ip default-gateway
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    In your static route config, why are you pointing the next hop to the switch IP addresses?

Have you got the ip default-gateway command on so configured on the switches?

Can u ping the local router from one of the switches? Can u ping a router from the other router?
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you define a default gateway on the switches so that they have someplace to send the traffic that is leaving the local network? And it has to be on both switches so that you can send icmp requests and receive the icmp replies back.

If you did a show ip route before you added the static routes, you probably would have already seen that the router knew about the two connected networks. And you could/should first check your connectivity from the router to each individual switches administrative interface.

And exactly where did you put those static routes?

Ok, thanks for the help. I did not define a default gateway on the switches. I will do that next. I put the static routes on the router. Yes, I was able to ping from each switch to its interface on the router and vice versa. Just couldn't get one switch to ping the other through the router. Thanks for the help, I will set the default gateway on each switch.
  • Options
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    In your static route config, why are you pointing the next hop to the switch IP addresses?

Have you got the ip default-gateway command on so configured on the switches?

Can u ping the local router from one of the switches? Can u ping a router from the other router?

I was just tyring to follow this command:

Name(config)# ip route [destination network] [Subnet Mask] [next hop IP address or interface]
    I just assumed that "next hop" meant the switch but iguess that only applies to routers right? I am only using one router with two interfaces, do I even need to use a static route on this setup?

I will set the default gateway on both switches.

Yes, I can ping from both switches to the router and vice versa, just can't ping from one switch to the other through the router.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joey74055 wrote: »
    do I even need to use a static route on this setup?
    No.

Since the router should know about the directly connected networks, you don't need any static routes for this simple scenario.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    You guys are great! Thank you, setting the default gateway on each switch did the trick!
    Again, thank you.