Options

Studying for ICND1 & Bought some devices

OmishanOmishan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got 2 2600 routers and 2 2950 switches to get some hands on experience for my own understanding.

They came last night and was wondering how to cable them, the books show diagrams but doesnt seem to go with what I have on hand.

On my switches I have a fastethernet port and an aux port what im wanting to do is connect a router to my cable modem and have a wire going from it to my switch where i'll have my pc connected.

I think i need a module to do this, WIC-1 card? Is this correct?

and if I decide to connect 2 routers together would i go with serial module card?

Sorry for the basic questions, I think im right but the diagrams ive been looking at with routers connecting to 3-4 things dont seem to go with the equipment im seeing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    To connect the routers you need crossover serial cables, also known as DCE/DTE cables. Ofc you need wic:s in your routers aswell but it didnt come without them, did it? :O

The switches are connected with a normal crossover TP cable. If you dont got one, you should buy some cable, RJ-45:s and tongs to make some of your own. Making a few 15-CM crossover cables can really feel neat when you are doing STP and VTP labs! Also it is nice to know how to make the cables...

To log in to the devices you need a rollover or "cisco cable", aswell as a RJ-45 to DB-9 converter, and most likely a USB adapter aswell.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    They didnt come with anything extra with them, so for my 2600 router to connect to my cable modem id need a card like this and set it to use dhcp?

Cisco T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2) [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems
    Cisco T1 DSU/CSU WAN Interface Card (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2)

Id like to at least have to connected to internet to play with it at work.
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Omishan wrote: »
    Id like to at least have to connected to internet to play with it at work.

So if I'm reading correctly, you are wanting to access your Cisco router at work, for example, by connecting your router to your home modem?

Sounds like your just learning about the networking thing so why not try this instead? Connect your router to your home PC via a console cable and then enable your computer for remote desktop. That way you can access your computer from work, which is connected to your Cisco router via serial console and therefore you can play with your router while at work? Of course, there is probably going to be port forwading involved if you have a linksys router or something at home for your home network.

Better yet, just take the router to work with you and connect it to your computer. It's not that big! :D
  • Options
    well I cant really do much at work most I can do is telnet, i dont think id even be able to use ssh so remote desktop wouldnt work well, I was going to try to connect modem to the fastethernet and set it up for dhcp and see if that works

Its all these little details they dont have in the book I'm trying to learn about
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well it can be done, but your talking about a fairly complex config on your router and setup for your knowledge base. I mean your basically talking about making a "lab" that you can remote into from the internet. You may also run into more problems than you think if your work network is locked down pretty tight.

Without being able to remote desktop your not going to be able to test ping between PC's connected to your switches and your limited in several other ways without having physical access. Seems like alot of overkill to me for this kinda setup icon_wink.gif, but that's just me. I think this would be a cool setup to try AFTER you get your CCNA, so you know what's going on. Anyways, do some google searches and you'll find the info you need. There is "how-to" guides out there.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd suggest waiting until you know what you're doing before you try to make your home lab available from the internet.

There are quite a few ways to do it and there have been quite a few threads about it (search for home lab internet or ccna lab internet) -- but most people who want to do it before they know how to do it also aren't aware of the security implications.

I VPN into my home network. I use my remote power switches to power up the home lab. And then I can telnet or SSH to my access servers. If I have an issue with the access servers, those are available via console cable from a PC either via Remote Desktop or VNC.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!