Options

Group Therapy Session...GO!!!!!

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Okay, I don't need help with anything...just want to vent. Here's my situation. I'm currently reading Wendall Odom's ICND2 book. Not practicing or anything...just reading. I'm doing the examples in my head and have followed along pretty coherently. After I'm done reading I'll go back and start studying.

That being said...

ACL's chapter...OH MY GOD. I've realized that is going to be my FAVORITE (sarcasm) chapter to study!!!

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by my fried brain. We now return you to your regularly scheduled postings.

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Okay, I don't need help with anything...just want to vent. Here's my situation. I'm currently reading Wendall Odom's ICND2 book. Not practicing or anything...just reading. I'm doing the examples in my head and have followed along pretty coherently. After I'm done reading I'll go back and start studying.

That being said...

ACL's chapter...OH MY GOD. I've realized that is going to be my FAVORITE (sarcasm) chapter to study!!!

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by my fried brain. We now return you to your regularly scheduled postings.

The first time I saw them, I thought the same too.

But after reading it a couple of times and A BIT OF PRACTICE on the lab, they not too bad.. In fact they quite cool esp the reflective ACLS (not on CCNA).

Just battle on. Once you get past the ACL numbers, and get used to the syntax - they easy, trust me ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm with you there. If you can get a hold of one of the available icnd2 dvd's that might help as well. I couldn't make heads or tails of it after three read-throughs, and I almost threw a router because traffic wouldn't pass through that I thought should (curse you, implicit deny!) but seeing JC doing it on his CBTNuggets videos clicked in my head for some reason. After I watched, I went back to my books and my lab and it started to make more sense.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Also - Odom usually goes miles deep on things, so there is a chance you won't need 100% of his content on the exam. I haven't made it to the ACL chapter yet, still on STP.

Drew
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ACL's chapter...OH MY GOD.
    ACLs is probably the 2nd most important Cisco Knowledge Building Block... right after #1 Subnetting
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    ACLs is probably the 2nd most important Cisco Knowledge Building Block... right after #1 Subnetting
    Neither of those have been faring well today, have they? icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953

That being said...

jscimeca715,

Here's a way to think about ACLs that may help make you more sane. There's basically two types:
    1. Block (deny) everything, except
    2. Allow (permit) everything, except

Can you come up with an example of each type?
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    jscimeca715,

Here's a way to think about ACLs that may help make you more sane. There's basically two types:
    1. Block (deny) everything, except
    2. Allow (permit) everything, except

Can you come up with an example of each type?

tech-airman...I can't yet...I'm still reading. But I will be able to soon!
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    ACLs seem daunting at first, but I'm sure you'll pick them up pretty quick. Wait until OSPF areas in BSCI.icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    use named acls
    ex
    ip access-list extended NAMED_EXAMPLE
    1 permit ip source destination
    2 deny ip source destination

they get better lol
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    convert it to binary they make more sense zero=match and one=dont care. Remeber block sizes and bit boundary. You can do a lot of funky matches with ACL
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There's so much to learn!

What I'm going to tell future CCNA pursuers is that the Cisco Network Academy is a year long. . . for a reason!

You learn one thing well (at least that's the method Bryant pushes), then you move on to something else. . . and find out you'd forgotten the last item you covered. . . or something two chapters back. . . or. . .

All that, and the bar is extremely high for these certs. . . everybody else wants 65, 70 percent passes for their certs and Cisco wants 85. With their brutal exams, no less. I understand a vendor wanting to tout their cert program. I even understand wanting to make money off it, but. . . :: sigh ::
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers