Options

Problem with HDD

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
So here is the deal my girlfriends Dad sends me his faulty harddrive to fix. He has advised there is an issue with the HDD and pc won't boot. I slave the drive using usb but the drive does not appear in my computer. My first step would hav been to run a virus scan on the disk and then troubleshoot from there. I had to reboot my machine and now my HDD seems to have failed. I think my girlfriends Dads drive has infected mine with a Virus.

When I start the machine the OS goes to load but comes up with an error autochk skipping program not found then blue screen of death and reboots.

I have tried using last known good config but same thing happens.
Also been into recovery console and run diskpart which strangely shows the drive as the incorrect size and no drive letter assigned. Its as if the partitions have been been blown away. Also tried a fixboot and fixmbr but this was unable to fix it.
When I run a chkdsk it is not recognising the c: it says the path is invalid.

I'm sure that the my girlfriends Dads drive has infected my drive with a virus that has messed blown away the system partition and messed up the partition tables.

Has anyone else come across this sort of issue and do you have any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luckily I've never ran into that issue. Sounds like a doozie. So his problem has now replicated to your machine? The exact same symptoms?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    So here is the deal my girlfriends Dad sends me his faulty harddrive to fix. He has advised there is an issue with the HDD and pc won't boot. I slave the drive using usb but the drive does not appear in my computer. My first step would hav been to run a virus scan on the disk and then troubleshoot from there. I had to reboot my machine and now my HDD seems to have failed. I think my girlfriends Dads drive has infected mine with a Virus.

When I start the machine the OS goes to load but comes up with an error autochk skipping program not found then blue screen of death and reboots.

I have tried using last known good config but same thing happens.
    Also been into recovery console and run diskpart which strangely shows the drive as the incorrect size and no drive letter assigned. Its as if the partitions have been been blown away. Also tried a fixboot and fixmbr but this was unable to fix it.
    When I run a chkdsk it is not recognising the c: it says the path is invalid.

I'm sure that the my girlfriends Dads drive has infected my drive with a virus that has messed blown away the system partition and messed up the partition tables.

Has anyone else come across this sort of issue and do you have any advice.

Thanks

I never had that problem before, but here my suggestion:

First for the Girlfriend Dad hard drive:

Do you have any details about the problems the hard drive did on your GF Dad computer? What error he got?

You said that when you plugged his HD in usb it won't appears in My Computer. Did you check in Disk Management? You got nothing there?

For your Computer:

Did you try to run safe mode? Do you have the BlueScreen Stop error? it would help.

We need more informations about the problem! :)
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    that's probably a hard drive killer. I've had the same experience with a hard drive.I tried to use various bootdisk but it won't accept any command.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.