Options

ID Theft protection

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Do you guys use anything for ID theft protection?

I was thinking about signing up with these guys since that’s who my cc is through;

https://www.chaseidprotection.com/

But I was wondering if I have any other options, well other than that Life Lock guy, haha.

I mean, I buy a lot of stuff online. You use to be able to look on cnet to see which sites were respectable or at very least look for the VeriSign or “Hacker Safe” icon and have some sense of security, but not really any more.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lots of places offer things like that. You can get them directly through some, if not all, of the credit reporting agencies (i.e. Equifax). It seems too expensive for me.

Even if someone gets a hold of your CC info, I don't think that really constitutes identify theft. All my CCs protect me against fraudulent charges. I'd be more worried about all the places that have my SSN and how well they protect that.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you can purchase identity theft insurance through a regular insurance company. I'd look into that before I had the CC charging your card every month.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think you can purchase identity theft insurance through a regular insurance company. I'd look into that before I had the CC charging your card every month.
    not all insurance companies offer this, but some do - I know it was offered to me by Allstate while I was up in Canada, & I'm pretty sure they offer this in the US too. It's basically a service to help you untangle the web of crap that's woven by someone who gets a hold of your identity - coverages vary, but the one I was offered included free legal assistance to work through the red tape & clean up your records.

One bonus of trying to go through an insurance company - you might be able to swing a discounted rate if you have more than one policy with them. So start with whomever you go through for your car/home/rental insurance and you might be able to find a good deal...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion