Options

Prob with PC5

blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
A colleague of mine is studying for his CCNA and got stuck on ACL pools, so I tried to help him using packet tracer 5 (copyright issues aside please) and ended looking like a dick :)

This the first time I've used PC5 as I have my own lab.

I set setup a small network:

host - sw - nat router - router2

set all the ip addresses and used RIP as routing protocol.

Set the in/out, pool, the acl and then the ip nat with pool statement

I'm getting nat transaltions but no ping returns back to the host after pinging router2 serial interface.

Went home and used the exact same config on my home lab and worked perfect - i am puzzled?

P.S. nat works fine on PC5 when not using a pool and using the outside interface.

Any suggestions as I think I will be helping this guy a bit, using PC5 at work.
Currently studying:
CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
Everything. Twice ;)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If the exact config works fine on real equipment its probably some kind of bug in PT. People recommend real gear for a reason :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    If the exact config works fine on real equipment its probably some kind of bug in PT. People recommend real gear for a reason :D

Sarcasm, love it ;)

Clearly, but if Cisco uses it for thier academy then surely, it should work - esp for such a simple lab?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have never used PT, but from what I hear it is built for specific labs so if you try to go outside of those labs it doesn't cooperate. Not sure if this is one of the labs its designed for. It also may be wanting you to get the same result in a slightly different fashion...

Maybe someone with some experience with PT can give better advice.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blackninja wrote: »
    it should work - esp for such a simple lab?
    Is it a lab that is part of the curriculum that was probably tested by the programmers to make sure it works in PT5?

Or are you trying to do something that isn't an Academy Lab?
    People recommend real gear for a reason :D
    Finding IOS bugs is good practice for a real life Cisco job.

Finding software bugs in simulator software is good practice for a QA job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Is it a lab that is part of the curriculum that was probably tested by the programmers to make sure it works in PT5?

Or are you trying to do something that isn't an Academy Lab?.

Didn't know the software was just designed for certain labs, just assumed that it would do everything on the CCNA, as the exam sims could be about anything on the CCNA inc NAT pools.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Yup, Packet Tracer is just full of little odd bugs here and there. It is a great tool to help learning for the CCNA but it does have its faults. I still use it but I know it falls way short of real equipment. There are plenty of things you won't be able to get working with PT5 unfortunately.
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    Yup, Packet Tracer is just full of little odd bugs here and there. It is a great tool to help learning for the CCNA but it does have its faults. I still use it but I know it falls way short of real equipment. There are plenty of things you won't be able to get working with PT5 unfortunately.

Think I'll stick to trying to explain things instead of using PT5, as I've just seen it doesn't do frame relay either. I'm not known for my patience so bye bye PT5.

Now what about GNS3, anybody?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    ccnacertified2000ccnacertified2000 Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Ninja,
    For frame relay in PT, you use a cloud. You assign DLCIs to the serial ports, then you map the DLCIs from one serial to the DLCI on another serial. That gives you a frame relay virtual connection. Then you hook up your serial ports on your routers to the ports on the cloud, and set the DLCI on your ports. Then frame relay works. This is how the real world uses frame relay. You don't normally use a router with multiple ports as a frame relay switch, you use a dedicated frame relay switch. It happens that cisco switches have that feature, doesn't mean thats the normal frame relay switch in an ISP. Think about how many individual serial ports will be needed to connect a large ISP if that were the case.
  • Options
    Hey Ninja,
    For frame relay in PT, you use a cloud. You assign DLCIs to the serial ports, then you map the DLCIs from one serial to the DLCI on another serial. That gives you a frame relay virtual connection. Then you hook up your serial ports on your routers to the ports on the cloud, and set the DLCI on your ports. Then frame relay works. This is how the real world uses frame relay. You don't normally use a router with multiple ports as a frame relay switch, you use a dedicated frame relay switch. It happens that cisco switches have that feature, doesn't mean thats the normal frame relay switch in an ISP. Think about how many individual serial ports will be needed to connect a large ISP if that were the case.

I know about frame relay switches, just thought you would set lab up as in a home lab.

What I'll do is download PT5 to my computer, sit with it and learn how to use it (bottle of wine will be needed) and the features it has. In my defence, I've also read other posts about not been able to set FR in PT5.

So we can do NAT and FR. Is there anything on the CCNA that can't done. Just so I don't think it's just me again (self confedence shot ;) ).
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)