Options

Configuring SMTP to send mail

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have just setup SMTP on my windows 2003 server and I am trying to send mail using php to aol and hotmail. I have configured my script to notify me if there is a failure or if it successfully sends the mail. the result I am getting is that mail has been sent successfully but its not being recieved in the respective email accounts. When I look at the mail server some of the emails are stored in Queing folder and some have a message saying failed to deliver. I have setup my php.ini to use the localhost as the mail server. I have no antivirus yet on the server and I have also allowed smtp and port 25 on the windows firewall. I got an error 55.. I dont really remember when I first tried to run the php script and I googled for the error and I was told I have to setup the relay settings which I did and this seemed to give me a successful message but my emails are not being recieved.

Is there anything else I might need to do to get to send my emails? This is just a test enviroment and I will definitely put antivirus.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Is the test server at home behind a firewall connected to a residential cable modem? Many large mail servers block SMTP connections from addresses in the providers residential DHCP pools in a effort to prevent botnet generated spam.

After that there is still the issue of a registered domain, DNS records, MX records, and SPF records. You're better off testing with another SMTP server in your test network. That way it won't be blocked and you can test on the receive side as well.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    the recipient server might be blocking you. I would download smtpdiag from microsoft to diagnose further.

john

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're on your home connection, you'll probably have to configure your SMTP server to use your ISP's SMTP server as a smarthost, they're probably blocking all other SMTP
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    masterUniversemasterUniverse Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did setup my exchange 2007 to send mail from my home to anywhere such as hotmail yahoo, gmail, etc. just as blargoe mention, it need to configure your smtp to point to your ISP SMTP server. Find out what port your ISP smtp port is using because most ISP have block port 25. one test you can do once you find out what port it is using is
    telnet <ISP SMTP> <port>. if you get a - on the top left of your monitor, it mean it is block

Also your virus software might have block it as well, at least on my server where I have mcafee.