myspace im...wtf

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have some house guests for a while and they are using my pc to look for jobs...
No big deal I am running XP home so I enabled the guest account and password protected my own account.

Today I come home and see that myspace im is installed on my pc!!! I hate crap like that because it just opens the door for malware and other junk. So I uninstalled it and then opened the guest account just to see if I could re-install it and it installed without hesitation...

I am looking for something I can use to further restrict the user rights but have come up empty so far, there is some 3rd party stuff but I will just block myspace all together rather than spend money.

Any ideas?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Set up a clarkconnect box and block it altogether ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why are you enabling the guest account? Just create another account and make it a regular user. Edit your hosts file to point myspace.com (and any other unwanted sites) to 127.0.0.1. Start > Run > MMC and load the Group Policy Object Editor for the local computer. There's plenty of adjustments you can make there icon_lol.gif
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I cant use a GPO editor in XP home. There are only 2 account types...Admin and Limited which is what the guest account is.

I found a way..I can edit the advanced settings in IE to disable downloads and then make regedits to take away the tabs and they cant change them back.

Thanks for the replies though. I really forgot how limited XP Home is haha

SteadyState looks pretty interesting though..
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    dubbs112 wrote: »
    I cant use a GPO editor in XP home. There are only 2 account types...Admin and Limited which is what the guest account is.

I found a way..I can edit the advanced settings in IE to disable downloads and then make regedits to take away the tabs and they cant change them back.

Thanks for the replies though. I really forgot how limited XP Home is haha

SteadyState looks pretty interesting though..

I don't have XP Home to test this on, but I wonder if you have more account options if you go to
    Start > Run > control userpasswords2 >Press Enter