Options

Transcender

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
In the DNS section, a 'Situation' question has 2 2003 servers running as DC's and DNS servers and hosting an Active-directory integrated zone called verigon.com. The plan is to configure 2 member servers as secondary DNS servers for verigon.com. You are to configure the Notify settings for the verigon.com zone.
It goes on to say one of the DC's is a master server for all zone transfers. The master server will notify appropriate servers with zone changes. you want to minimize network traffic related to zone transfers. Specifically, you want to configure only necessary notifications to occur.
According to them the correct answer is to add the ip addresses of the two member servers to the Notifiy box.

Thought only DC's could host Active directory-integrated zones.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lab it up! ;)

The member servers won't use ADIZs, which is why you have to do zone transfers. AD replication takes care of that for ADIZs.
  • Options
    What's the point of a secondary zone for an ADIZ on a member server if ADIZ is already replicating to other DC's and in a sense acting as secondary servers?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The secondary DNS server might be needed for Linux/Mac support. Or if the DC is being over tasked with DNS queries maybe.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doesn't Transcender also gives an explanation in the solution ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Yea, they're usually pretty good. However, as far as this question goes, it may only explain why those options are/aren't correct. It's not going to provide a comprehensive explanation of DNS.
  • Options
    No, there's no explanation at all for this question, it just tells you in the review what your score was for the question, the only way to tell if you're right. There are more than one question like this that don't give an explanation, usually the one's where you're dragging and dropping boxes to configure something.
    So it's perfectly acceptable to configure a dns server as a secondary server for an AD integrated zone and it's main purpose would be mostly as a backup to the DC's hosting the zone?
    Can't find anything on the internet or in mspress book that describes doing this. MSpress says replicating usually eliminates the need for secondary servers.
  • Options
    I think that's a glitch. I had a couple of questions in their 293 product do that to me. I emailed them and asked for the explanations, and they sent them within a day or two.

As far as the real-world reasoning goes, Daniel nailed it.