Options

Name resolution and 2501 routers. Going out of mind

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
I have posted and searched endlessly to no avail.
The simple problem:
After I implemented two cisco routers in my home LAN, I could not resolve host names in between networks, or even on the same network. The problem only occurs when my clients use the cisco routers as their gateway. When I say resolve host names, I mean both locally and on the WAN didnt work.

Comments

• Options
    Diagram:
    (Note, clients using the cisco router(s) as their gateway can ping WAN by IP address. But cannot ping host name. So it is a DNS issue obviously. They also cannot ping my ISP's DNS server.
    However, if you use 192.168.1.1 (cable router) as your gateway, EVERYTHING works.

network.jpg
  • Options
    2501a FIRST ROUTER

routerA#sh conf
    Using 977 out of 32762 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    no service single-slot-reload-enable
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname routerA
    !
    logging rate-limit console 10 except errors
    enable secret 5 $1$KAWH$siTZiZob/9BtCtLubuxav/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip finger
    no ip domain-lookup
    ip host 2501b 192.168.2.1
    ip host dissolved 192.168.1.79
    ip name-server 192.168.1.1
    !
    no ip dhcp-client network-discovery
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    description Connected to LAN1 (switch)
    ip address 192.168.1.40 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Serial0
    description connected to RouterB
    ip address 192.168.0.5 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    router rip
    version 2
    network 192.168.0.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    !
    ip kerberos source-interface any
    no ip classless
    no ip http server
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password 7 14051D05050A7C7D72
    login
    !
    end
  • Options
    2501b
    SECOND ROUTER

2nd cisco 2501b

RouterB#sh conf
    Using 854 out of 32762 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    no service single-slot-reload-enable
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname RouterB
    !
    logging rate-limit console 10 except errors
    enable secret 5 $1$Kw7U$zhHM0md/zOC0neIBSIz2S.
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip finger
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    no ip dhcp-client network-discovery
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    description connected to WAP
    ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Serial0
    description connected to ROuterA
    ip address 192.168.0.6 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp
    clockrate 64000
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    router rip
    version 2
    network 192.168.0.0
    network 192.168.2.0
    !
    ip kerberos source-interface any
    no ip classless
    no ip http server
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password 7 083343400017534144
    login
    !
    end
  • Options
    and here's some questions I usually get asked. Figured I'd answer them now:

Q: Can you ping your ISP's DNS server
    A: no. But if I use the cable router as my gateway I can

Q: Can the cisco routers ping your ISPs DNS server
    A: no

Q: Can clients directly connected to your cable router ping the DNS server
    A: yes, they can also resolve local and WAN hostnames correctly. As long ast the clients gateway is set to the cable router

Q: Are you a sex symbol at work and all the hot MILFs drool over you?
    A: yes

Thanks for any help guys.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    There is no reason why this should not be working!!!! I do not want to rely on WINS server or LMHOSTs files for local name resolution.
    Cisco's routers have no ACLs out of the box right? So every port is open. There is no reason why this should not be working!!!! I do not want to rely on WINS server or LMHOSTs files for local name resolution.
    There is a very solid reason: Routers do not pass broadcast traffic by default. Netbios, without WINS, is broadcast traffic.

Please don't take this the wrong way but considering your other questions in your other posts:

- Download and read our free Network+ TechNotes:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/pdf.shtml
    - And please don't start a new post for every thing you run into with your lab setup, just reply on the original post, or ask it in the Off-topic forum.

Regarding your DNS issue, as others have suggested, you can set up an internal DNS server that forwards requests to the Internet. However, if your internal clients cannot reach a DNS server (which is the case if I remember correctly), your DNS server won't be able to either... hence it is still a routing issue.

If you still want, and have the option, I'd be willing to SSH into your lab in a couple of hours, just PM me the details...
  • Options
    methoselahmethoselah Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Routers 2501a and 2501b are missing their gateways of last resort.

NetBIOS relies on broadcasts while on a LAN. You've segmented your LAN with the Cisco routers and are no longer one big broadcast domain. Hence, you need a WINS server to resolve NetBIOS names across networks. If NetBIOS broadcasts are routable, just think of the millions of broadcasted HOST name packets that would congest the Internet and end-up being shown in your "network neighborhood" list in Windows. That would be a pretty long list.

If I were you, I would:

1. Put the static gateways of last resort back in. (192.168.1.1 for 2501a and 192.168.0.5 for 2501b)

2. Manually add my other networks (192.168.0.0 and 192.168.2.0) for NAT/PAT on the Sohoware router itself. If I could not do that on the FUBAR Sohoware, I would do NAT on 2501a to share your 192.168.1.40 address as the inside-global for networks to the right of 2501a.

3. Set the default gateways of clients to the left of 2501A to 198.168.1.1 (your Sohoware router).

4. Make sure WINS server is running on your W2K DC/DNS server.

5. Add the IP address of the WINS server on the NICs of all your clients/servers to the right of 2501a.

6. Read-up on the Technotes suggested by Webmaster. They are really good to clarify basic networking concepts.

....... Do i get the $10 icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    methoselah wrote:
    Routers 2501a and 2501b are missing their gateways of last resort.

If I were you, I would:

1. Put the static gateways of last resort back in. (192.168.1.1 for 2501a and 192.168.0.5 for 2501b)
    They are not missing, just not statically configured, the 2501a receives it from the cable router as the latter is also part of the RIP process. 2501b receives it from 2501a, also thru RIP. (as displayed in the show ip ro output in his other post.)
    @Dissolved: this is a good example of why you should keep it all in one post. icon_wink.gif It makes it easier for others to help you.
  • Options
    methoselahmethoselah Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    They are not missing, just not statically configured, the 2501a receives it from the cable router as the latter is also part of the RIP process. 2501b receives it from 2501a, also thru RIP. (as displayed in the show ip ro output in his other post.)

it showed up on his "sho ip route" as gateway of last resort? oh icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll keep it all in one post from now on.

I installed a DHCP server (same machine as DNS server) and set all my clients on teh 192.168.1.0 network to obtain automatically.
    Now host names are being resolved fine. I remember reading somewher, that windows dns server needs to be installed in conjunction with the DHCP service in order for name resolution to function correctly.

I made two DHCP scopes and now have to turn on DHCP forwarding on the ciscos so it hits the 192.168.2.0 network. ANyone want to tell me the command icon_lol.gif