Options

Learning Advice?

Shiz StainShiz Stain Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I got a copy of two books I saw that were recommended by the community here, both are pdf files...

Todd Lammle CCNA 6th edition
Cisco Press ICND1/ Cisco Press ICND2

The thing is I got a month of school left until I graduate and then I should start in the fall semester of Community College and start the Cisco Academy there. Now given that I have a good few months to study and stuff how should I approach this? Like for example every time I got some spare time read over a chapter, answer all the questions, and go back over it again on the stuff I don't understand. As for configuring the routers I will try to get a simulator or something since I can't afford to buy a router/switch. Personally I learn better with hands on experience I don't want to get a cert because I knew the answers I want to get the cert because i KNOW the answers and why that answer(s) is correct.

Doing internship at school is fun and I really got a sense of what a Cisco Tech does. The system admin called him over a few times and I was there kind of helping him out and just peeking over to see what he was doing and stuff and it seemed really interesting, something I would personally love to do because it involves helping people, hands on stuff, and moving around.

So my question is how should I approach this whole studying thing and how many hrs a day should I do because personally I never really cared to read a real book in my life. Only reading i do is on forums/websites of the latest new video games/computers/fights/ and etc. and so I find myself at a disadvantage because I don't know how to "really study".

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My advice would be get used to reading. The majority of your study will be learning theory.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Shiz StainShiz Stain Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The thing is I never technically read a book to be honest. When I'm at school we have to read a few paragraphs or a short story in the books and then answer the questions and stuff. I don't have a problem reading but I just don't want the books to be like blah blah blah... and I want something that catches me.

I can read stuff but it has be interesting like I said before. I will give the books a try but the studying approach I am taking is, is reading the chapter, taking the test, going back over it again over things I didn't understand, and taking the test again, then I move on to the next chapter. When I get to the part where I have to configure routers I will try to get a simulator and just get a sheet of paper and practice.

As far as subnetting goes, if I learned anything in class it was subnetting that stuff killed and we also learned binary. I will review the subnetting again because most of the subnetting questions I saw I could still answer there were still some I didn't understand so I will need to go over that. Thats the approach I am going to take but should I read like a chapter a day? or a chapter a week?

I just need advice on wheter this is going to work or not, and advice on how to improve from personal experience.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    If you don't like reading then maybe have a look into CBT Nuggets CCNA training videos.
  • Options
    godofthunder9010godofthunder9010 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Four things that will be more valuable than any book:
    1.) A good practice exam. There are a number of them out there. Ask around and find out which ones are good. There are a number of free practice exams on the Cisco website.
    2.) The Internet and knowing where to look for information. The Cisco website and CBT Nuggets, etc. Even Wikipedia and various Wiki's. All very good and you can find updated material as technologies change.
    3.) A lab. This can be interesting because you can't buy the latest, greatest enterprise Routers and Switches on the cheap. You probably have to settle for old, outdated, Ebay purchased Cisco gear. Then you have to find a place to set it all up of course. But the best thing you can do is just fiddle with the real thing and see what happens.
    4.) A good network emulator. I prefer Packet Tracer for ease of use. A lot of people like GN3. This gives you a chance to fiddle with some swapable parts for routers, which you can't do very well with a real-life lab. You also can use newer equipment. You don't get the hands-on experience either. But it should be noted that an emulator is going to better prepare you for the actual tests.

Moreso than any other test I've ever taken in my life, it is virtually impossible to pass the CCNA exam without really knowing the material from a practical standpoint and knowing it very very well. Mindless memorization of correct test question answers really won't work, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The method that personally works best for me usually goes as such:

1: Read chapter on Subject X, take notes along the day on a notebook, re-read any sections that are unclear..

2: Using the book, try some of the basic configurations, lots of "show" commands, try to make sense of the text.

3: Re-read any parts of the book while configuring the technology..this is usually just skimming through that chapter and not so much "reading it" in the sense of doing more then a paragraph.

4: Try more hands on...if you get stuck...google/cisco docs. Although they are not CCNA-level material, I highly recommend CCIE blogs as they usually have great information on technologies. I'm especially talking about Internetwork Expert's blog.

While it sounds like a lot, it's a short timeframe. To summarize: Read, implement it, re-read to fill any blanks in, implement it again (this time really getting a grasp on the technology), and finally resort to google/cisco docs for clarification on anything.

Just my personal method.