Options

Multiple routers connected to one switch question.

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hello all, I have a quick question. I've been reading the EIGRP and OSPF section in Odom's book and they have been referencing a topology that has multiple routers connected to the same subnet. Two questions, one of them really stupid, but I need to make sure I get it:

1. This is only possible if they are connecting to a switch correct?

2. What would be the benefit of this?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hello all, I have a quick question. I've been reading the EIGRP and OSPF section in Odom's book and they have been referencing a topology that has multiple routers connected to the same subnet. Two questions, one of them really stupid, but I need to make sure I get it:

1. Not only an ethernet switch, but also other kinds of multi-access network such as frame relay.

2. Cuts down on the number of links.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I thought the whole point of a router was to connect two different subnets/lans/vlans. Wouldn't two routers on the same subnet be overkill?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of a router was to connect two different subnets/lans/vlans. Wouldn't two routers on the same subnet be overkill?

No one said there has to be hosts on this subnet. Maybe the subnet is just to connect the routers together. I think you are thinking about things on a too low of a level here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    1. Not only an ethernet switch, but also other kinds of multi-access network such as frame relay.

2. Cuts down on the number of links.

I'm confused with number one, but I'm about to read the Frame Relay chapter so I'll come back to this thread if I need further help. Number two makes sense, but do you see that a lot in production. (I'm referencing the Ethernet switch option, not Frame Relay.)
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    jscimeca715,

A switch is one possibility. Another possibility is a hub.

At least one benefit is bandwidth and therefore time. Even a 10 Mbps Ethernet segment is 6.4767 times faster than the 1.544 Mbps of a T-1 link. A 10 Mbps Ethernet segment is 182.857 times faster than 56kbps dialup. The benefits can increase if you switch (pun intended) to a 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet segment, a 1 Gbps Gigabit Ethernet segment, or a 10 Gbps 10GigaEthernet segment.

Did my post help?