Options

IP Alarm Monitoring, anybody have experience with it?

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Question for any of you out there that might have an alarm system for their home that have IP based monitoring. Who do you use and are you happy with them? Looking at IP based monitoring because we do not have a phone line, we do have VoIP but that will likely be disappearing since nobody uses it.

I'm considering an alarm system after I found out rear sliding glass door's lock broken and the wood it attaches to splintered. Doesn't appear that anything was taken nor does it appear that the person who did it actually entered the home, but it's certainly a infuriating experience and has me looking at home security more seriously considering the investment I have in computer and electronic equipment as well as the fact that we have a little one in the house now and my wife is absolutely terrified about the idea somebody may have been in our home.

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Not to scare you, but consider stories I heard while studying for CEH about businesses being broken into and nothing taken, but keyloggers and spyware were installed on computers.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Most home alarm companies also offer a cellular connection for people without landlines.
    Cellular Radio Monitoring FAQs
    Wireless Alarm System Monitoring
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Sorry to hear about the scary situation.
    I actually had my apt broken into when I was in it! Luckily cops came quick and all the noise and yelling my roommate and I did (while upstairs) scared the guy away.

Aside from an alarn system, I decided to move to a high rise apt community (so if they wanna break in, they gotta scale a wall ,lol).

Also decided to get some firearms training --- not trying to be Rambo or anything, but doesn't hurt to get training. Considering a home defense shotgun with birdshot (not meant to kill anyone, more stun, slightly damage).

Either way, best of luck with home security/monitoring.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Also decided to get some firearms training --- not trying to be Rambo or anything, but doesn't hurt to get training. Considering a home defense shotgun with birdshot (not meant to kill anyone, more stun, slightly damage).

Either way, best of luck with home security/monitoring.

The problem with birdshot is the fact that it's likely to just stun or cause slight damage to an invader. If the invader was shot or even threatened with a weapon, they might have a fight response out of fear of their own life and attack you. At this point, birdshot might not actually cause an attack to stop. If I went this route, I'd probably use buckshot since it would be more likely to actually stop an attacker because if I did keep a firearm for protection, if I actually had to fire it - that would mean they are attacking me (I wouldn't fire it unless they presented further danger after they see that I am armed) and birdshot might just get them more angry/violent.
    Claymoore wrote:
    Most home alarm companies also offer a cellular connection for people without landlines.

I saw the device in the 2nd link, planning to dig a bit deeper into that option.
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Not to scare you, but consider stories I heard while studying for CEH about businesses being broken into and nothing taken, but keyloggers and spyware were installed on computers.
    I would be honored if somebody thought I was important enough to gain significant value from breaking in to install a keylogger :D
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be installing one when I have some free time for the project. I will let you know what I think once I have used it for a while. Which system are you considering?
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    I will be installing one when I have some free time for the project. I will let you know what I think once I have used it for a while. Which system are you considering?

I'm probably going to stick with Ademco, more than likely the Vista 20p system. Still not sure on what zones I'm going to go with yet. I finished up the basics (beefed up locks and bars holding the doors shut) for now and plan to revisit the alarm after May since this month is going to be busy with 4 exams.
  • Options
    marvin-rmarvin-r Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With the monitoring facilities working around the clock, your family has support whether you're home or away, whether you're sleeping or awake. The peace of mind that comes with knowing there are people looking out for your family's welfare will make sure that when you are sleeping, you can do so soundly. Our systems can provide you with live, two-way monitoring that allows you to speak directly with one of our virtual monitoring facilities in the event of an home security emergency.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure if this is what you need, but we are using this for our environment (we are a hosting company)

ipMonitor network monitoring software from SolarWinds
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    marvin-r wrote: »
    With the monitoring facilities working around the clock, your family has support whether you're home or away, whether you're sleeping or awake. The peace of mind that comes with knowing there are people looking out for your family's welfare will make sure that when you are sleeping, you can do so soundly. Our systems can provide you with live, two-way monitoring that allows you to speak directly with one of our virtual monitoring facilities in the event of an home security emergency.

Way to spam my 2 month old thread... but I have to commend you on your straight forwardness, most spammers tend to create the "ohhh but I'm just a satisfied customer providing a link" approach. You get docked 2 points for the cut and paste post however.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

The first thing any competent firearms trainer will tell you is that if you're going to pull the trigger on a weapon, you do it with intent to kill. You want the person you're shooting to go down and stay down. Trying to just wound them is more likely to result in your weapon being taken away and you killed instead. Adrenaline has a funny effect on people, look at the FBI Miami shootout for a good reference.

Of course it's to your benefit to research your locality's laws regarding self defense. Georgia is a "Stand Your Ground" state, which means I have no duty to retreat or announce my intention to use deadly force in defense of my own life or the lives of others. As a result, the statute grants immunity from prosecution if such action is necessary.

My family went through firearms training together a few years ago, and my mom had the same kind of reaction. 'I don't want to kill anyone, I just want to wound them until the police can take them away'. After a few vivid examples of why that was a bad idea, mom decided that it probably was a good idea to be shooting for center mass if it ever became necessary.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would go both the alarm route and gun route. Alarms are great and can help out but I have never seen an alarm stop a determined person. If that person has an intent to steal and nothing is going to stop him then he will do just that alarm or not. But if that person is face to face with a gun or being shot at then that will change his mind pretty damn quick. Lets face it an alarm cant hurt or stop a person that is hell bent on distruction. I have multiple pistols and rifles in the house and my wife knows how to use them and i sure hope she would cause her life is far more important to me then a robber or rapist or kidnapper. If you have both atleast you have options rather then, I hope this alarm scares this person off that is breaking in but if it doesnt what then? In the end you have to make the choice on whats important to you.