Options

WDS issues when using VMs

Anyone having any problems when attempting to capture an image using WDS running on VMs? I'm running several Win2k8 VMs on an ESXi host, networking seems okay, I am able to pxe boot, deploy an installation of Vista, I can boot to the capture boot image, capture the image locally but I am unable to upload the image.

When I type in my server name, hit connect, I'm prompted for credentials. The authenticate just fine because then I'm able to select the image group, but after that the "Finish" button does not enable.

I'm banging my head about as I'm trying to get WDS down as I prepare for 70-649. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I'm not a VMWare person, but I remember something like this happening at a client site and I think it was somehting to do with the NIC that was being presented to the guest OS. Try changing the NIC you advertise to the guest from 'generic NIC' to one of the specific Intel NICs.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much memory do you have in the VM(s)? I've had problems using less than 512mb, and there is no obvious indication that's what the problem is.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Check the memory as dynamik said. The minimum amount of RAM for WinPE usage is 512mb.

Also make sure that the WinPE capture image has the right NIC driver for the ESX virtual adapter. You generally get an error if you dont, but at times ive seen it just blank out buttons and make you guess as to what the deal is.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    each VM (server & client) are using 2GB. I'll try another network card and let you know. Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Did you ever figure this out?
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    No, couldn't do anything with the drivers. And since the ESXi server it's running on is being used by a coworker for a critical Exchange 2007 pilot I don't want to screw around with the settings.

I ended up just grabbing some PCs and doing it that way, worked fine.