Options

doubt doubt doubt :-(

rameeshmeshadrameeshmeshad Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
doubt doubt doubt.....

1) what is the device which we use to connect a csu/dsu modem???( imean from router v.35---->csu/dsu
>???)

2) my modem is using rj11 cabe to go outside(internet).....what is the device it use to connect with ...(is it another modem to a router..??)

3) what is a mux in ISP does??

4) In my lab i uses my serial connections in the same subnet....is it possible in the real world?

please answer me in detail or refer any good links regarding this....
.......................stick things wid real world cases
.....with luv rameeee

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    doubt doubt doubt.....

1) what is the device which we use to connect a csu/dsu modem???( imean from router v.35---->csu/dsu
    >???)

2) my modem is using rj11 cabe to go outside(internet).....what is the device it use to connect with ...(is it another modem to a router..??)

3) what is a mux in ISP does??

4) In my lab i uses my serial connections in the same subnet....is it possible in the real world?

please answer me in detail or refer any good links regarding this....
    .......................stick things wid real world cases

Your certification listing under your name state you have CCNA, and CCNP, if so, why are you asking these type of questions?icon_rolleyes.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Most home internet here in the US is either cable (coax) or DSL (phone line) if you remember ISCW then you know what the other end connects to. A mux is a multiplexer it combines multiple signals into 1. Here where I work we dont use serial cables anymore they are legacy but serial connections we still use for point to point on T1s and POS for optical.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    1)
    Greatly depends on the circuit from the carrier and how it is presented. Don't mean to be rude considering your certs maybe I am not understanding your exact question here) but Wide area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2)
    A modem is basically a Network Termination Unit (NTU). A cable.ADSL/PSTN modem, fiber NTU, multiplexor, ethernet NTU all do basically the same thing. They establish the circuit you are paying for and both ends are the same. At the carrier end they will typically be just line cards for that particular type of circuit. Whether you stick routers on either end of these NTUs also varies as a normal home modem will typically go straight into the NIC card on the PC.

3)
    In a nutshell, a multiplexor (mux) connects one big circuit from the carrier and splits it off to lots of smaller chunks on the client site. For instance, we have one mux which is a 34 MB circuit and is split into 17 x 2mb circuits on site. The device is owned by the carrier but located on our site and has 17 ports each with either x.21, gs03 or rj45 lan presentation. When someone needs a 2mb circuit, they lease the next 2mb chunk and that port on the mux is cabled to their router and off they go. If they require larger or smaller than a 2mb chunk from that carrier, other devices are used instead of the mux.

4)
    Again, really depends on the network but I wouldn't have thought it to be good practice.

Miller811 +1
    Kam.