Options

Dynamic VLANs

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
So here is a quick question. I understand dynamic vlans and how they work. I also understand how static vlans work. What I want to know is....is there a real advantage to dynamic vlans (should you take the time to set them up), and are they used in the real world. Every textbook I've read so far says that network engineers prefer static vlans....just wanted to get some input.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So here is a quick question. I understand dynamic vlans and how they work. I also understand how static vlans work. What I want to know is....is there a real advantage to dynamic vlans (should you take the time to set them up), and are they used in the real world. Every textbook I've read so far says that network engineers prefer static vlans....just wanted to get some input.

Never had much luck with them because of login scripts, etc. In a simple environment they should work great, but then again in a simple environment, you don't need them. Some of my past research suggests looking into a third-party supplicant to keep login sessions open long enough to complete the dynamic VLAN assignments and allow scripts and home shares to get sync'd to network storage etc, but I never got around to it. I've never seen Dynamic VLANs in production, though it would certainly be nice.