Options

IPv6. Much of?

VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
Is there much IPv6 on the CCNA exam?

I'm getting to the end of Lammle and am wondering if I can just skim read this part as my brain hurts a bit at this stage.

Cheers

Charlie.

Comments

• Options
    NvermindNvermind Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second that! Even though im only going to sit the CCENT I am worried about that...

exam objectives on cisco website?
    Leave the monkies alone! They've got problems enough as it is!
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure about the CCNA guys but I've heard that in the CCNP Cisco are really pushing IPV6 and Multicast in the exams, so I wouldn't skip over it if I was you as it appears to be the way things are being pushed.

I'm not saying you require to learn to the same level as CCNP on this topic but it's the kind of thing you'll just kick yourself for if you fail the exam and you know you got some IPV6 questions wrong. Make sure you can look at the IPV6 objective and think to yourself "yeah I know about/how to do that."

Just take a few days away from the books and let the brain strain fix itself and go back to it - trust me it works.

Good luck
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you look at the objectives for ICND1 it does not say IPv6 specifically like the ICND2 does (it doesn't specifically say IPv4 either though).

I'd be on the safe side and at least learn the basics. You are going to have to learn it for ICND2 anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the replies. Best get reading up on IPv6 then.
    malcybood wrote: »
    Just take a few days away from the books and let the brain strain fix itself and go back to it - trust me it works.

If I do that my head is likely to empty itself then I'll be back to square one icon_lol.gif

Cheers

Charlie.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I only know of multicast what I had to learn for the CCNP, but I suspect it's coverage is pretty basic.

For ipv6, it barely scratches the surface. The level that the CCNP expects you to know is very basic, as you'll figure out if you ever have to work on a plan to transition your production network to ipv6 :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Cisco's pushing IPv6 even harder than Microsoft is, so expect to see plenty of IPv6-related questions popping up, (like configuring the IPv6 version of a command for EIGRP, OSPF, etc.) I found this book to be extremely enlightening for my CCNP studies, as well as for my MCITP studies. Hopefully, it'll help wrap your brain around it all.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    They're pushing for the conversion, but they're not really doing any in depth testing at the Associate or Professional levels (not yet, anyway). The material in the BSCI Self study guide is pretty representative on what will be tested for, and it's barely scratching the surface.

My advice would be to learn the different types of ipv6 types, learn the reserved prefixes, learn the different ways to represent an address (leading zero compression, zero compression, EUI-64, etc), what types of addresses an interface automatically gets, autoconfiguration, 6to4 tunneling, and so on.

ipv6 will really screw with everyone's heads once they do start testing seriously on it, it is a very dramatic paradigm shift from the ip4 realm of thinking.

You don't need to know ip6 in depth for the here and now, but you'd do yourself a huge favor learning as much as you can about it as soon as possible. The conversion won't be sudden or dramatic, but there will come a tipping point where being experienced with ipv6 will be a very marketable skill. My company is in the process of implementing ipv6 into our network using dual stack, and it's been one hell of a learning experience. The Asian markets are way ahead of the US in terms of ipv6 implementation, and some American ISP's (Comcast comes immediately to mind) have been running ipv6 internally for awhile.