Wireless router IP addressing

colink24colink24 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

2 questions for you all, so bear with me....

I was having some very annying issues with the 2wire routers that are supplied by BT.

The router was not releasing the IP addresses to workstations disocnnected from the network. The only way to release was to jump onto the router and change the IP address scope to clear down all the assigned addresses. This got a little tedious after a while so I decided to change the address class so that I had a load more addresses to play with

Anyway, I changed the network to a 172.20.0.0/16. Then the fun started. I managed to kinda get it working via an access point. Sometimes I could connect, other time I would get a 169.x.x.x address. Just really annoying things going on

I called up BT and naturally got someone who couldt understand why I wanted to change the address class (I dont think he even knew what i was attempting to do). After about 30 minutes of being on hold, he finally came back and said you couldnt do this on the router, which I find hard to believe as the option to change the addressing is there and the router can handle PAT.

Anyone had similar issues, or have any idea as to what the issues may be. I spent a whole day on this recently but just gave up before I slit my own throat

So I have decided to just go ahead and buy myself a router. I dont need a wireless router as it will only work as a wired router with access points using structured cabling in my office. Can anyone recommend a router/bundle? I will need 3 access points for the different floors and the router will need to be able to handle PAT. I also need to be able to change the address ranges on the router so that it can handle more than 254 local hosts

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    colink24 wrote: »
    The router was not releasing the IP addresses to workstations disocnnected from the network.
    You can't rely on DHCP release being sent so the router has to keep the leases active until they timeout. Windows doesn't send a DHCP release even when the machine is being shutdown. The fix is to change the lease time to something shorter than the default of 24 hours.
    Anyway, I changed the network to a 172.20.0.0/16. Then the fun started. I managed to kinda get it working via an access point. Sometimes I could connect, other time I would get a 169.x.x.x address. Just really annoying things going on
    Is the DHCP server disabled in the access point? Were you able to always get a DHCP address if you physically plugged into the network? Have you run a network sniffer to see what if any replies you were getting from the DHCP server?
    Can anyone recommend a router/bundle?
    I'm assuming since you're talking about BT and a BT supplied 2wire router that you're using ADSL. What router you get depends on what you actually want it to do. If you want IPS/IDS then you'll need a more powerful router or an actual firewall.

If it is just for basic internet connectivity then any of the Cisco routers that have an ADSL interface will do e.g. 857. The BT supplied router should do what you want anyway as what you're asking for is pretty basic in functionality. I'm not sure exactly why it didn't work for you.
    I also need to be able to change the address ranges on the router so that it can handle more than 254 local hosts
    Just curious as why you need so many?