Options

Latest you are willing to stay at work?

13»

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Seriously, everyone needs to chill out. While I don't agree with everything Plantwiz said, I certainly know a lot of people that fit the stereotype. I don't think making such sweeping generalizations is the best thing to do, but I don't think it's fair to respond to those generalizations with personal attacks either. We've all had different experiences and have different points of view. I don't see any point in continuing this; I think we all know where everyone stands ;)

Agreed, it's late and my day (year) has been awful which isn't helping my responses tonite. Lets all hug and whatnot.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stereotypes suck, enjoy life in balance people.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What I've seen in my short experience is some older folks that have gotten away with shortcuts previously in their career (maybe result from the IT boom and not having enough people to fill jobs years ago) tend to have that ethic ingrained, and younger people have a higher concentration of thinking they should be able to walk in the door and make big money and have everything be fair, whatever their warped definition of "fair" is to them. Not a rule, but just a personal observation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Younger people have a different kind of laziness and lack of care than older people. But older people still have laziness and lack of care. Everyone sucks, it is hard to find good people out of any group no matter the race/***/age/arm/leg/hair/feet/pimples.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    ???

Don't understand what you are looking for?

I get hired for a job, I'm responsible to finish the job, period. That includes both hourly and salaried jobs I've held.

The benefit it is, I keep my job or contract. Everytime I 'DO' something "I" get experience. And word gets out that I'm good for my word. NOTHING, NOTHING beats that for me. Honor and integrity are super important in my book...to me...and how others perceive me.

Then again, this swing in the younger generation seems to think that there is entitlement for one small ounce of 'exception' an employee makes to complete a task they were hired to do.

I have worked with a few people who complain they worked 1 hour past when they 'thought' they should leave. Even had one insist that we paid for his dinner because he couldn't eat with his wife. Boohoo...one night, she'll live and so would he.

1. when hourly...you get paid...and depending on the industry, you get OT (Agriculture doesn't pay OT).
    2. when you are salary...you get paid. And you'll likely find some down time at another time of year and your boss won't ride your butt because you have opted to work special pet project.

Generally, salaried individuals make good consistant pay and that is a perk in and of itself.

Cut-backs come, and it is real easy to let hourly people go or cut them further to make the salaried folks fill in the voids. SO there is some 'security' in being salaried. HOWEVER, nothing more secure then being self-employed!

I think you misunderstood why I made this thread. It wasn't to whine or cry, was just curious and making an off topic post.

I guess I was also curious as to where time and money drew the line. Isn't that a valid question? Say you're getting paid $30k per year but are expected to rebuild a crashed server by yourself and it takes 48 hours. Now if this happens maybe 3 times a month is it worth it? 4 times? Maybe if you were getting paid a little more? I guess i'm just curious as i'm new to all of this.

This isn't to whine about it because of course i'm gaining experience doing this stuff. So please don't take my question the wrong way. We're all professionals here.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Plantwiz wrote: »

You are correct, there are slackers all around, but the biggest group to take time off for 'sniffles, headaches, or just being tired.. is this lastest upcoming pampered brats fresh from college of a few years out of college. Mommy and Daddy worked their butts off to give junior and jane EVERYTHING except how to survive in the working world.

The author of the thread (I believe was NOT yourself) was inquiring how long people work and whether intended or not...it read very clear like "it sucks my employer actually expects I'll finish the job I agreed to do". And then looking for sympathy for others who work 'too' long.

You seem to have some issues with co-workers or something that has made you feel like people around you are slacking. You have some strong feelings towards this. I for one know more people under 30 that are NOT slackers than people who are over 30. If you have proof of the otherwise please post it, because right now I disagree with your statement.

Most IT people that come out of college nowadays pay for their own education (This is only for IT not some other major) and generaly are not slackers. I do not know where you get this idea from. I have to strongly disagree.

Also you misinterpreted my OP. I don't see how I was 'whining' or asking for 'sympathy'. I was just curious how long other people have stayed at work. If I may ask what kind of IT work do you do? I did see lots of what you were saying when I worked at best buy and circuit city, however now that I work in a proper IT company, I see none of it. Maybe it pertains mainly to the setting that you perform IT work.
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Ha, Circuit City...

I remember one time I was in there and I saw a guy with his daughter looking for a NIC for their new broadband connection. (I'm not sure the guy had even heard of the Internet before, but I digress...) When they asked the recently lobotomized employee working the computer parts area where to find one, he told them that they were sold out and to try Best Buy instead. They passed an entire shelf filled top to bottom with various NICs on their way out, and there was no way I was gonna stop them.

Circuit City should have gone away 5 years ago.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ha, Circuit City...

I remember one time I was in there and I saw a guy with his daughter looking for a NIC for their new broadband connection. (I'm not sure the guy had even heard of the Internet before, but I digress...) When they asked the recently lobotomized employee working the computer parts area where to find one, he told them that they were sold out and to try Best Buy instead. They passed an entire shelf filled top to bottom with various NICs on their way out, and there was no way I was gonna stop them.

Circuit City should have gone away 5 years ago.

Wait, why were you at Circuit City? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wait, why were you at Circuit City? icon_lol.gif

I needed help picking out a NIC. ;)
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ive had many late nights... ranging from anywhere from midnight to 3 AM with less than 1 year of working in this field, but they were all rewarding experiences, I got the job done, Ive gotten respect from my peers and our clients, and incredible experience that you only get once. Ive never worked X amount of days straight though.... I honestly hope problems dont come to that length
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    The stereotype portrayed in the article above sounds an awful lot about what was said about my generation (I'm 32) back when I came out of school.

Wholeheartedly agree with the above poster saying it's hard to find good people out of any group. Most people, regardless of age, race, gender, etc. are typically lazier and more stupid than they should be.

"Greatest generation my #@!, Tom Brokaw's a punk!"
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Ouch what were you doing?

One loooooooooooooooong support call --- escalated situation where management was involved and software wasn't functioning as designed due to a combination environmental issue and poor error reporting from our software --- basically misleading error reporting --- this all translates into a marathon call... definitely don't wish that to ever happen again! But like everyone is saying, you gotta do what you gotta do, and sometimes it requires extreme situations.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD