Options

Need advice on beginning my A+

keithqsrkeithqsr Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here is my situation.I am a recently layed off Chemical Reactor operator.Good job as far as pay but the 12 hour days and every other weekend are brutal on a family.Ive always wanted to be a Computer Technician and build and maintain all my computers and maintain them inside and out.I have a choice of taking a A+ preparation course at the local community college or Techskills.I did a little research on Techskills and I did not like what I saw.On their website they talk like they are the top dog.Calling them I found some things that bothered me.No one answering the phones, spoke with a gentleman who never did what he said he was going to do as far as contacting me.Just gave me a vibe they were like car salesmen.Before writing them off, just wondering if anyone on here has used them or have a opinion of the school? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not familiar with the school, but there are plenty of great resources for A+. I would recommend you start by downloading the technotes from this website. It will give you specific details as to the learning objectives. From there, you can best evaluation an appropriate learning tool, based on your current skill level. Good luck!
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    If you are going to pay money to go to a school to get a certification, I'd suggest using it on one of the bigger certs like the MCSE.

If you want A+, use Technotes like Reid said and also get the Mike Meyers book and read it. That should be enough. Once you start scoring 85-95 on the practice tests you are ready to take the real thing.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    keithqsrkeithqsr Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice.I found out today I can spend up to $8,800 and the bill will be paid so I have a lot of options.I went and purchased the A+ and Network + books today.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    keithqsr wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.I found out today I can spend up to $8,800 and the bill will be paid so I have a lot of options.I went and purchased the A+ and Network + books today.

Then enroll in a college and earn a real degree.

Stay far away from the "I-want-to-be-a-tech-schools".

A+ and NET+ are easy enough to pass with experience and a couple books. The others, you'll fair better in the market with a college degree.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    A+ is very easy. Read like Exam Cram and you'll be fine.
    Same with the Network+.
    Security+ is a bit hard and then for that I'd advise you to take a class.
  • Options
    d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    community college is probably the right place to study. no need to go to IT fancy school. You'll spend most of the time reading books and study for exams on your own anyways.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • Options
    Frankie33Frankie33 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REID8968 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the school, but there are plenty of great resources for A+. I would recommend you start by downloading the technotes from this website. It will give you specific details as to the learning objectives. From there, you can best evaluation an appropriate learning tool, based on your current skill level. Good luck!

The Technotes. Where exactly can I download them from here? Should I just do a search in here for technotes?

Thanks
  • Options
    Frankie33Frankie33 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nevermind I found it icon_lol.gif