Options

Server 2003 install help

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I started to install Server 2003 and after it formatted and installed the files; it rebooted and started asking the DHCP for a ip address, then I assume the Nvidia boot agent started looking for boot device over the LAN. I found that really weird since I assume it would of been done or at least ask for the second disk that I burned. I got the images off my student Dreamspark account so maybe there's something I missed?

Another question, the computer has a Nforce 3 board and it needs Nvidia drivers, if I tried installing Server 2008 would it require the same kind of drivers as Vista? Nvidia never made Nforce 3 drivers for Vista so I would just like to make sure. Maybe the problem above could be from not having the proper Ethernet chipset drivers in the Server 2003 disk?

Comments

• Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Talic wrote: »
    I started to install Server 2003 and after it formatted and installed the files; it rebooted and started asking the DHCP for a ip address, then I assume the Nvidia boot agent started looking for boot device over the LAN. I found that really weird since I assume it would of been done or at least ask for the second disk that I burned. I got the images off my student Dreamspark account so maybe there's something I missed?

Another question, the computer has a Nforce 3 board and it needs Nvidia drivers, if I tried installing Server 2008 would it require the same kind of drivers as Vista? Nvidia never made Nforce 3 drivers for Vista so I would just like to make sure. Maybe the problem above could be from not having the proper Ethernet chipset drivers in the Server 2003 disk?

It sounds like its trying to PXE boot. You can turn that off in the BIOS or just press Esc when it comes up.

If 2003 isnt booting then either the device boot order is missing the HDD, or the install went wrong.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I had the wrong boot order for the hdd. Usually I don't mess with them but I had Linux on it earlier and I had to put it on a different drive. Thanks for letting me know to turn off PXE, I didn't even know I had it on.

As for the Server 2008 support for nForce3, I was reading the wiki about nForce3 support and it ticked me off at Nvidia a bit. nForce3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Why would you trout 64 bit compatibility when you release the board but when a 64 bit OS comes along and you decide not to even spend time to make drivers for it? I don't think I'm buying a Nvidia board anymore after that; I'm glad I bought my last video card from ATI.

I'm not sure if I want to try the work around, I would like to get 2008 on that machine though.

A bit off topic, but can you guys recommend a free av for server 2003? It seems like all the free av aren't made for MS server.