Options

Disappointed (Passed Friday)

kmornotkmornot Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took this class and study material hoping to shed some light on something different than SANS GCIH. Thought the teacher was excellent the course itself was nothing more than a refresher course for. I really didn't care if I passed the exam or not, as I look at my Sec+ and GCIH in higher regard. I got a 71 out of 70 and that is rushing through the exam. I think I went through this process wrong. I think I should have went CEH, Sec+ and then GCIH. Instead I went, Sec+, GCIH and then C|EH. I am not knocking this for a entry lvl security person in incident response. I would have been better off using the company's money on SANS GCIA course.

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am socking to here you put CEH before Sec+! Most people put it the other way around as far as entry level security. Any specific subject matter that makes you think that way?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kmornotkmornot Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I only have it first in the since of Incident Response (CIRT).
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Where do GCIH and CEH differ? The descriptions look very similar, but I'm not familiar with the GCIH other than the GIAC page describing it.
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Where do GCIH and CEH differ? The descriptions look very similar, but I'm not familiar with the GCIH other than the GIAC page describing it.

I strongly recommend for people wanting to get more info on the GIAC certs to sign up online (free) and try the demos for the OnDemand training. That will pretty much tell you what the course is going to be like.

I did the demo for GCIA, GCIH, and GPEN and loved them. I am going to be doing GCIA pretty soon!
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I am studying GCIH after passing CEH recently. The main difference I can see is GCIH focuses more on the detection and defense of the attacks, where CEH is more of the attack component and the basics of the tools. GCIH is more in depth. I am glad I did CEH before GCIH. After this it is probably off to a forensic cert unless my company drops the cash for the CERT IH cert.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you're disappointed with it - congrats on passing. As with most of the certifications in the same arena, there is a LOT of overlap. It doesn't matter whether you're comparing the GCIH, CEH, GPEN, OSCP, CPTS, whatever... there are only so many topics to present in an ethical hacking/pentesting course.

BillV