Options

EIGRP .pkt help?

xtqqtxxxxtqqtxxx Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, first off new here so don't know if this is the right place to post this.

Anyway, tomorrow is my skills assessment involving eigrp, so I'm practicing right now in Packet Tracer. I think I've set up everything correctly (obviously not..) but the eigrp information isn't propagating to the other routers. I still have to add a static route for the loopback int, but waiting on that since other stuff isn't working.

Can anyone please help me out?

I've uploaded the packet tracer file here: drop.io dvbelts

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    What interfaces do you have running EIGRP
    sh ip eigrp int

Do you have adjacencies with the neighbors
    sh ip eigrp neigh

How many routers and what networks besides the directly connected links are you advertising?
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    kryolla wrote: »
    sh ip eigrp int

sh ip eigrp neigh

How many routers and what networks besides the directly connected links are you advertising?

I have all interface running eigrp except the loopbacks.
    And there's no adjacencies with neighbors. That's the problem I'm stuck at. When run show ip eigrp neighbors nothing comes up. Confused there.

EDIT: I think the problem is with the wildcard masks. Not completely sure when to use them. The practice sheet I have says "advertise the network along with a wildcard mask for the appropriate subnet." Does this mean to set up all eigrp routes with a wildcard mask? I think that's what I've done. Probably the problem. Still confused though..
  • Options
    kryolla wrote: »
    sh ip eigrp int

sh ip eigrp neigh

Here's what comes up from one of the routers when I run show ip eigrp int:
    IP-EIGRP interfaces for process 1

Xmit Queue   Mean   Pacing Time   Multicast    Pending
    Interface        Peers  Un/Reliable  SRTT   Un/Reliable   Flow Timer   Routes
    Fa0/0              0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0
    Ser2/0             0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0
    Lo0                0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0

And for neighbors:
    IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 1

R2#

I don't know why they are not advertising. Puzzling.
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    xtqqtxxx wrote: »
    Here's what comes up from one of the routers when I run show ip eigrp int:
    IP-EIGRP interfaces for process 1

Xmit Queue   Mean   Pacing Time   Multicast    Pending
    Interface        Peers  Un/Reliable  SRTT   Un/Reliable   Flow Timer   Routes
    Fa0/0              0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0
    Ser2/0             0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0
    Lo0                0        0/0      1236       0/10           0           0

And for neighbors:
    IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 1

R2#

I don't know why they are not advertising. Puzzling.

Try a debug eigrp packets, it will tell you this :
    R1#
    EIGRP: recv packet with wrong subnet on Serial2/0
    EIGRP: Sending HELLO on FastEthernet0/0
    AS 1, Flags 0x0, Seq 1/0 idbQ 0/0 iidbQ un/rely 0/0
    EIGRP: Sending HELLO on Serial2/0
  • Options
    jmc012 wrote: »
    Try a debug eigrp packets, it will tell you this :
    R1#
    EIGRP: Sending HELLO on FastEthernet0/0
    EIGRP: Sending HELLO on Serial2/0

Heres Router HQ:
    Router#
    EIGRP: recv packet with wrong subnet on Serial3/0

Do you see where your going wrong?
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    I didn't look at the file but have you made sure that:

1. All routers you expect to become neighbors are in the same subnet
    2. Are all configured with the same as number in the router eigrp command
    3. All the K values (metric weights) are the same on each router
    4. If you have configured an authentication key chain, make sure the key values / send & receive lifetimes are the same

Do you have L2 connectivity? do the neighbors show up in a sh cdp nei command?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input!
    I realized the mistake I made by not having the routers' serial connections under same subnets.
    Now I see neighbors, etc.

I still have one more problem though:

I added a static default route on the HQ router to the loopback interface. I should be able to ping HQ's loopback0 from each host now, but it isn't working. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's my updated working .pkt: drop.io dvbelts

I feel so close to figuring this out, if anyone can please help me out with this last part, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

EDIT: Just wanted to also add that every router can ping each other. Every host/pc can ping their own router, but can't ping other hosts/pcs or anything else. Hmmmmm.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It looks like you are putting the buggy before the horse. My advice would be to go back and learn the fundamentals. People can give you the answers, but it would be much more beneficial for you to learn it rather then just have the answers handed to you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    It looks like you are putting the buggy before the horse. My advice would be to go back and learn the fundamentals. People can give you the answers, but it would be much more beneficial for you to learn it rather then just have the answers handed to you.

I know, you're right (btw, I like the buggy/horse thing.. :D).
    I am going to go back and learn it again. But I'm trying to figure this specific problem out right now because tomorrow I'll be tested over this.
    But you're right I should go catch up, just don't have enough time.. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input!
    I realized the mistake I made by not having the routers' serial connections under same subnets.
    Now I see neighbors, etc.

I still have one more problem though:

I added a static default route on the HQ router to the loopback interface. I should be able to ping HQ's loopback0 from each host now, but it isn't working. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's my updated working .pkt: drop.io dvbelts

I feel so close to figuring this out, if anyone can please help me out with this last part, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

EDIT: Just wanted to also add that every router can ping each other. Every host/pc can ping their own router, but can't ping other hosts/pcs or anything else. Hmmmmm.

You have your Gateway addresses on the hosts set to the subnet address instead of the router interface address.
  • Options
    You have your Gateway addresses on the hosts set to the subnet address instead of the router interface address.

Oh, wow. I am such an idiot.. lol
    What was I thinking??
    This fixed it all. THANKS A BUNCH!!! :)
  • Options
    Oh, wow. I am such an idiot.. lol
    What was I thinking??
    This fixed it all. THANKS A BUNCH!!! :)

No problem, just keep troubleshooting your labs even if it takes hours. That's really the best way to learn.
  • Options
    No problem, just keep troubleshooting your labs even if it takes hours. That's really the best way to learn.

You know, believe it or not, I have been doing just that since I woke up this morning... So tired... hehe
  • Options
    You know, believe it or not, I have been doing just that since I woke up this morning... So tired... hehe

I know what you mean, I still do that. icon_smile.gif Some times you just need to sleep on it. That has worked for me many times. All of the sudden the answer comes to you. Good luck on your test.

By the way with Eigrp, you don't have to use a wildcard mask in the network statement. But I think most people do.