Options

Dissipearing Windows service

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm having a strang issue with my Windows 2003 server.

The World Wide Publishing Service (W3SVC) has dissapeared from services.msc. I've tried to install it using the Windows install disk and it goes through the whole process and says that it installed but it still doesn't show up on services.msc. Its critical that I get the W3SVC service installed and running.

Has anybody ever experienced this and does anybody have any tips for me?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it listed when you type "net start" at a command line?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Maybe installing the service manually?

How to manually install a service in windows
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    WanBoy67 wrote: »
    Maybe installing the service manually?

How to manually install a service in windows

Ill give this a try and let you guys know how it goes.
  • Options
    Does anybody know where I might find the W3SVC service so I can try to manually install it?
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    [Command Prompt]
    cd\ [enter]
    dir w3svc.exe /a /s [enter]
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Have you tried Process Explorer or Hijackthis to verify it isn't running?
  • Options
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Have you tried Process Explorer or Hijackthis to verify it isn't running?

I've tried Process Explorer, I'm trying to re-install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on this server and int wont install because it needs that service.

The uninstall broke that part of IIS. I could try a repar the OS but that would take alot of effort because the server is currently the primary DC.
  • Options
    SEPM... yeeckh.

I bet if you search the Symantec STN forums you'd turn up something about this problem.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    SEPM... yeeckh.

I bet if you search the Symantec STN forums you'd turn up something about this problem.

Yea I hate SEPM, as far as im concerned its a unfinished product. SEPM broke the WSUS install and the mix of these 2 in the same server broke my IIS and Windows Publishing Service. And since this is down I cant get WSUS or SEPM running.

I'm actually considering downgrading to Symantec Anitvirus Corporate Edition 10.2 since we have a license for it and it has less problems then SEPM 11, but before I get SAV installed I need to get the the W3SVC service running inorder to use the reporting function.
  • Options
    I remember hearing about that issue... SEPM claims the Default Web Site as its own and whatever else that might be installed there (WSUS) gets screwed.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    I remember hearing about that issue... SEPM claims the Default Web Site as its own and whatever else that might be installed there (WSUS) gets screwed.

Yep, you got it. Its a crappy piece of software that they had at my company before I started and there still under contract with symantec till the end of August.
  • Options
    Shame it's on your DC... you could have just done a system state restore otherwise
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Try using SC commands instead of net commands to get more information about the services:
    How to create a Windows service by using Sc.exe

SC query
    SC query type= service

Also, check the W3SVC key in the registry to see if SEPM has done something strange to that key like clear the DisplayName value.
    CurrentControlSet\Services Subkey Entries
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Before anybody has a meltdown about errors over using "SC query type= service" you must include the space after the equal sign and do not have one before. Quirky and irritating and gave me a headache for a bit before I figured that one out a while ago.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/