Options

Where to go post CCNA

colink24colink24 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

A bit fo a generic question here, which I am sure/hopeful will bring up a few different answers!

Basically I finished my CCNA a few weeks ago and I am so unsure where to go now. I am lucky enough to work in a pretty large company with 1 senior engineer (tho he is also only CCNA) looking after a 1,000 user MPLS network, incorporting only a small number of voice networks.

Our ISP provies us with a largely managed network, so we only look after a small number of routers on the WAN. The LAN's are managed by us wholely.

But I am in a bit of a quandry. I dont really want to go down the R&S route. I am more interested in design, voice and even the wireless tracks (though I know wirless is likely to incorporate most of the R&S stuff)

One consideration is to take all the associate exams then decide from there. Does anyone feel this is a good option? I just dont want to waste my time (that prob read badly!) taking a whole bunch of associate exams for the next few years to be in the same position (earning the same $$$!)

All thoughts and questions welcome! :)

Comments

• Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    If you are in charge of the LANs you could start down the Microsoft cert track, or Linux maybe. I would say Voice or Wireless would be good because they are broad topics and can be used almost anywhere.

Drew
  • Options
    Me163Me163 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been making a similar decision over the past few days, and finally decided on the Security track. Taking all the associate level exams is tempting for me as well, but I feel like all that time would be better used toward one professional level certification.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    colink24 wrote: »
    One consideration is to take all the associate exams then decide from there. Does anyone feel this is a good option? I just dont want to waste my time (that prob read badly!) taking a whole bunch of associate exams for the next few years to be in the same position (earning the same $$$!)

All thoughts and questions welcome! :)
    It's better than having to learn a new catchphrase......."would you like fries with that?" icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    colink24 wrote: »
    One consideration is to take all the associate exams then decide from there. Does anyone feel this is a good option?
    I think it's a GREAT Option!

You'll still be learning a bunch of useful stuff that could help advance your career..... and it gives you something to do until you decide that you need (and want) the R&S knowledge :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think it's a GREAT Option!

You'll still be learning a bunch of useful stuff that could help advance your career..... and it gives you something to do until you decide that you need (and want) the R&S knowledge :D

I agree the R&S knowledge should be the first thing you should worry about getting. Its the foundation you need to be successful in any of the network specializations.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree the R&S knowledge should be the first thing you should worry about getting. Its the foundation you need to be successful in any of the network specializations.

Gets my vote too!:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.