Options

books and study aids?

emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

After recently getting my CISSP I am looking at some further certifications to add to the collection.

I am toying between doing the CEH or the CCNA Security next.

Does anyone have any recomendations to good books or audio content I could get for the CEH? I am spending a lot of time traveling at the moment and have found listening to podcasts and other audio content to be very usefull.

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Be aware that the latest release of the CEH exam is version 6. You can use version 5 materials to study from, but it won't cover all of the topics on the version 6 exam.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Be aware that the latest release of the CEH exam is version 6. You can use version 5 materials to study from, but it won't cover all of the topics on the version 6 exam.

+1 to what JD said.

Also I don't see in your signature that you have a CCNA, before you go for CCNA:Sec you need to have your CCNA. So that should be on your list first, that is if you don't have it yet.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Will Cisco let candidates take the CCNA Security exam before actually getting the CCNA cert? That wouldn't get candidates a the cert until they finish the CCNA, but seems like a good thing to help Cisco rake in some premature cert revenue. I wouldn't mind taking the CCNA Security exam first to motivate me to complete the CCENT/CCNA.

And I do not have any personal recommendations for CEH material, although there are plenty of recommendations by CEH holders in these forums. I really like PrepLogic and would look at their CEH prep stuff. I really need to start on the CEH myself for my current job, but where to find the time...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Will Cisco let candidates take the CCNA Security exam before actually getting the CCNA cert?
    For the associate and pro-level exams, they let you take things in any order, but you have to take all the required exams to pass. My former boss let his CCNA expire, did the CCNP exams, then went back and did 640-801 to get his full CCNP certification. I'm not sure if it's the same with the CCIE, if they'll let you take the lab before you take the written.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as I know, for CCIE, they won't let you take the lab unless you have taken the written, and who would really want to do that anyways? but talking about CCNA:Sec, yes you can take it first but you will just be passing the exam and not earning the certification until you satisfy the prerequisite requirement of CCNA.