Options

Set me straight Mbps? or Megs?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys
I am totally confused. I have seen so many people (professionals)
use them interchangeably but isnt it this way?

100 Mbps/8bits per byte = 12.5 meg
10 meg line is really slower than 100 Mbps right???
icon_rolleyes.gif

we are getting a 10 meg fiber line but it is connected to smart jack then
into a cat five? is that how it is regualted by the cat five?? how can you regulate
fiber line I thought fiber was limitless? some one set me straight
thanks

Comments

• Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    I believe that the term "Megs" is just short for Mbps which is megabit per second.

Byte is used for storage (40 gigabyte harddrive) and bit is used for transmission (10 mbps or 10 meg).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's obviously an abbreviation of mega, so I think whether it's referring to megabytes or megabits is really circumstantial. I'll refer to a 3Mb DSL connection as a three-meg connection while I'll refer to an 8MB file on disk as an eight-meg file. Maybe that's just me...

Is this really CCNP-level material? ;)
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    When speaking of bandwidth people will usually be refering to bits (kilobits, megabits, etc). When refering to storage, you're usually dealing in bytes (kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, etc).
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    fiber is just a pipeline and doesnt dictate your bandwidth. Well it dictates your max but you can have anything in between. As others said it is in bits per second and it is really important to not confuse it with bytes. Which you will soon find out in ONT and QOS why it is important not to confuse the two i.e how to compute serialization delay.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    itdaddy wrote: »
    we are getting a 10 meg fiber line but it is connected to smart jack then
    into a cat five? is that how it is regualted by the cat five?? how can you regulate
    fiber line I thought fiber was limitless? some one set me straight
    thanks

The rate will most likely be limited by policing on the PE router you are hooking up to. It would be in your best interest to shape the egress traffic on your side to prevent it from being dropped.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Like what networker said it is the end nodes that dictate the bandwidth and not the underlying layer 1 to a certain extent
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    I always say Megabytes or Megabits to avoid confusion
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    i have always seen in abbreviations where megabits is mbps and bytes is MBps, so the delineation is the capital letters. Not that it clears anything up.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks alot guys. and dynamic yes it is ccnp material ;)
    yeah guys at the ISP keep saying that and for sure I know it is in bps.
    and well thanks a lot for all your guys point of view on the bandwidth restricting and the tips on this. I know it may sound juvenile..I have always known it to be Mbps but when ISP guys say Meg. I am like what? doubting self and yeah I get it. Thanks a lot of straigtening me out.
    Know I can say Meg with the big boys and they think I am a genius! haah ha
    haha
    right on dudes!icon_thumright.gif