Options

best practises for Backup up a domain controller

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

We are in the process of tightening the security up in our office

the first step will be to regularly change our domain admin passwords... others have always been fearful that everything will grind to a halt so they refused to change them

and to use a different account for Backups than our domain admin accounts.

for member servers I do not think this is tough.. .since I'll just make a regular user account and add it to the local admin group for the servers.

But with a DC there is no local admin groups after the promotion so what is the best way to back these up ?

Should I just use a domain Admin account and manually change the password when ever our domain admin passwords change or is there a smarter way?

if it matters we use Backup exec here

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    There is a Builtin\Administrators group on a DC. It's just not obvious. However, check your backup software. They will tell you what your backup service account needs.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    There is a Builtin\Administrators group on a DC. It's just not obvious. However, check your backup software. They will tell you what your backup service account needs.

I thought the builtin\administrators as removed or hidden once the box was promoted

is it accessible via the start run control userpasswords2 command ??
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Smallguy wrote: »
    I thought the builtin\administrators as removed or hidden once the box was promoted

is it accessible via the start run control userpasswords2 command ??

It's only accessible during Directory Services Restore mode.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In most cases you should be able to get by without making the backup account a local administrator. Which software are you using?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    He's using Backup Exec.

That's sorta why I was recommending he check the docs for the security requirements for the account.

You could probably use PowerShell to add the user to the group without having to restart in that mode...

http://kentaylor.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!7E6EBC6F4550C78A!134.entry
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    He's using Backup Exec.

That's sorta why I was recommending he check the docs for the security requirements for the account.

You could probably use PowerShell to add the user to the group without having to restart in that mode...

Adding Account to the Local Administrators Group with Powershell - Windows Live

that worked confirmed it using net localgroups administrators
  • Options
    Sorry missed that last line in the original post

I'm not having to do that in Netbackup, but I remember in Backup Exec we had to make the account a member of Builtin\Administrators in the domain. I think generally Backup Operator is enough though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Sorry missed that last line in the original post

I'm not having to do that in Netbackup, but I remember in Backup Exec we had to make the account a member of Builtin\Administrators in the domain. I think generally Backup Operator is enough though.

I think if you're using Granular Restore options and agents, you likely need full Admin rights. I know for Exchange GRT the account has to have full mailbox access to every mailbox.

P.S. PowerShell strikes again!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Yep, I actually am using a separate Windows account for my Exchange backups because of that
    IT guy since 12/00