Options

Router for QoS?

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
Whats a good (but not to expensive) router to do some QoS study with?

I have two 1721s and two 2611s which both seem to support all the QoS commands, but was wondering if there is anything more suitable.

If i setup my 2611s as below, should that be a decent way to get some good QoS running?

qos.jpg

Obviously i have excellent mspaint skills
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If they'll support the full set of QoS commands, that should be fine to practice on
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they'll support the full set of QoS commands, that should be fine to practice on

+1

What you have is sufficient as far as routers. The hardest part is generating enough traffic to see it all in action.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    +1

What you have is sufficient as far as routers. The hardest part is generating enough traffic to see it all in action.

I fullyagree with this. If anyone has some tips and tricks on how to generate different sorts of traffic, it would be appreciated. Most of my QoS studies have been by using ICMP, but it would be nice to define multiple classes with different traffic and then test it all at once.
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I used a pair of debian servers running multiple instances of iperf, each instance using a different port, and marking based on port number
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I used a pair of debian servers running multiple instances of iperf, each instance using a different port, and marking based on port number

That would be a good solution. I also have some JDSU ethernet test devices that can send multiple streams with different values which I have been using in the lab at work. Not very cost effective for a home lab though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kpjungle wrote: »
    I fullyagree with this. If anyone has some tips and tricks on how to generate different sorts of traffic, it would be appreciated. Most of my QoS studies have been by using ICMP, but it would be nice to define multiple classes with different traffic and then test it all at once.

WAN killer from solarwinds works well, it's part of the engineers toolkit and is commercial software but you can get it on a 30 day trial, which should be enough time to do that part of the ONT/QoS exam for testing purposes. Just install it in good time so you can get everything tested in the 30 day window that you need to

granted you can't define classes of service but you could just swamp the link and check that any traffic that is policed gets through ok. do sh policy-map int s0/0 etc to see the packets being dropped from the policy...

SolarWinds: Engineer?s Toolset Network Traffic Generator: WAN Killer

......or you could (get your work to) buy the engineers toolkit icon_smile.gif

There are some cool tools in there but it's just really a bunch of bells and whistles and pretty interfaces for stuff you can do yourself imo. I wouldn't turn it down if my work offered to pay for it though.....not sure how much it costs.

There may also be something open source out there that is similar.
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I used a little 1710, which was cheap and nice because of the ethernet interfaces and the SDM capabilities, along with WAN killer. It did the trick for me without breaking the bank. :)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog