Options

The future of networking Cisco. Your thoughts?

wera711wera711 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just thinking out loud here. Where can we expect networking to go in the future? I ask this as a CCSP, CCNP and aspiring CCIE (Security). I am just now at the point where I am comfortable with my skillset. My fear is that I will become "unsharpened." Don't get me wrong, my day to day activies are nothing but technical. But I can't help to think that I've become proficient at a vendor specific position. Will Cisco be around in 10 years? I certainly hope so. I LOVE working with cisco day to day, I don't want to do anything else.

What is the best way to stay on top of everything, without getting overwhelmed? How much can we expect Cisco's methodoly changing (the way their devices are used, the syntax for commands etc.) Anyone else have similar feelings? icon_silent.gif

Comments

• Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    As we get closer to widespread fibre-to-home and cloud computing, I would safely say Cisco will still be around by the time I am pushing daisies.... they also have huge reserves of cash, almost Google like.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    wera711wera711 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is it true they are a cash only company? Meaning all of their purchasing is done with cash, not credit? This is what a co-worker told me. My entire career is in their hands. I guess it is no different than being piegon-holed at some company in the city lol
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    wera711 wrote: »
    is it true they are a cash only company? Meaning all of their purchasing is done with cash, not credit? This is what a co-worker told me.
    With the amount of money they have I doubt there is a credit crisis for them.
    wera711 wrote: »
    My entire career is in their hands.
    That's not entirely true though is it!
    Yes we can, yes we can...