Options

A great time at the office...

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
It's always a great night at the office when your boss calls you and says your co-worker is in the office trying to fix an e-mail server (posting, no boot) but he's sending him home and asking if I can come in and take care of it because "we both know he won't be able to do it". We're technically equals in terms of salary and title as well... but clearly not equal in the areas that really count. Oh well... what can you do except deal with the task and move on.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh well... what can you do except deal with the task and move on.

Not answer your phone icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Not answer your phone icon_twisted.gif

The funny part is I was the first one to get the call... but I have a BB Storm and it was accidentally left in bedside mode since this morning so the radio was disabled and I never got the call. That's why my co-worker was called in. It wasn't until about 8:30PM Central time that I made a call to a friend and the radio turned on and I received the voicemail from the boss. Only then was I dumb enough to return the call icon_sad.gif

Oh well, I would have been stuck dealing with it anyways. I'd rather deal with it at night rather than during the day with people here to pester me :D
  • Options
    Oh, I almost forgot to note. I found there is plenty of beer in one of the conference room fridges here :D:D:D
  • Options
    PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well that's all worth it then. :)

Sadly the place I work now doesn't really do beer at work. We've had a couple after hours beer fests offsite but it's kind of hard to coordinate everyone even for our fairly small team.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's always a great night at the office when your boss calls you and says your co-worker is in the office trying to fix an e-mail server (posting, no boot) but he's sending him home and asking if I can come in and take care of it because "we both know he won't be able to do it". We're technically equals in terms of salary and title as well... but clearly not equal in the areas that really count. Oh well... what can you do except deal with the task and move on.
    I've been there, lots of times in various situations just like what you're describing. I've also often found myself in the position of automatically being made responsible for a project a co-worker is doing because that person can't get it together and the boss knows that I can. Almost makes you want to hold back a little and not take on those difficult tasks some days. Still, I guess it's a nice thing to be the go-to guy, you're that much more likely to be the man in charge of your department someday, (maybe in charge of a whole lot more than just one department,) and then you can go out and hire competent employees you know you can rely on to do their jobs.

Nobody saw me ranting, you can't prove a thing.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□

Paper cert VS. real cert.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Paper cert VS. real cert.

Yep, sooner or later, everyone gets exposed for what they really are. icon_twisted.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Was the problem at least a big problem? Id start to worry if it was something really simple :)
  • Options
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Was the problem at least a big problem? Id start to worry if it was something really simple :)

Significant problem yes, and it unfortunately requires new licensing information from our vendor who is not answering any extensions nor e-mails. I'm still dealing with this, the hardware side is done at least.

To top it off, early this morning our Symposium server (Nortel stuff) failed in the most epic manner so our calls are not being routed correctly. Add in a circuit down at one of our offices that our telco has improperly labeled that they cannot locate the correct ID, yay Friday!
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Significant problem yes, and it unfortunately requires new licensing information from our vendor who is not answering any extensions nor e-mails. I'm still dealing with this, the hardware side is done at least.

To top it off, early this morning our Symposium server (Nortel stuff) failed in the most epic manner so our calls are not being routed correctly. Add in a circuit down at one of our offices that our telco has improperly labeled that they cannot locate the correct ID, yay Friday!

Wow, i'm surprised you have time to post on TE :)
  • Options
    Finally had a moment to get out to the remote office with the down circuit (we have no OOB management there). WIC-2T failed, no spare - it's incredibly difficult to locate a WIC-2T or two WIC-1T's and two DB60 -> V.35 cables around this time of the evening on a Friday in WI.

I never imagined as I sat here around the same time last night that so much "ownage" would transpire in 24 hours. To top things off, our consultant who handles our Symposium server for our Nortel junk came by this afternoon with the software to load it up on our fresh Server 2003 box I setup for him. When I was arranging this earlier I specifically asked him if there was any special configuration I should follow while I prepared the server for him - he said no, just avoid doing updates right off the bat and we'll do those after I have things installed. He arrives and says he'll need to come back after I repartition into 5 partitions, one for the OS and a 4gb and two 16gb partitions for Symposium. Would have been grand to know that ahead of time.