Options

70-640 / 70-643

antec900antec900 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to start on either the 640 or 643 and was wondering which of the two are harder to study for (I'm going in this not know much about either. Looking to move away from help desk and get into the server side of I.T.). Also what are passing grades for both as I haven't been able to find anything on that.

Any tips, recommendations, or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Passed my 70-640 the other day. I would say it is a better place to start as you sorta are half way there to being a domain admin with that one.

I am then going onto 70-642 as without knowledge of networking, your pretty much going to have a non-fun time. I have been using networks for years now so it's more or less the IPV6 stuff that I have to brush up on for that one.

Also in some countries the exam for 70-640 is now 83-640 which is what I did. It is not only Mutli-choice. It also contains real online VM's which you have to configure. Ensure you check in your country with the prometric website which one you need to do just so your in the right mindset. Basically, if you can't see english in your country for 70-640, then look up 083-640 and see if it is there.

Took me 1 month of intensive study and 1 month of on/off study. I am 30, with 3 kids and have a Wife whom all take up my time. So it probably took me a little longer than some to get up on this one, however it is a lot to learn.

Trainsignal is a good foundation and then the CBT Nuggest guide as a good finisher to the 70-640 I have heard. Also get the MS Press book as not only is it good for reference but it also contains the 70-640 practice exams from the training kit. They are very good!

Lastly its a 70% pass. Get higher you pass, get lower you fail. That's al that counts is that you get more than 70%.

Hope this helps.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed the 70-643 I would rate it about about 8 out 10 for difficulty. However, from other posts I have read and talking to other friends that have taken several MCTS exams the consensus seems to be the 70-643 is the hardest MCTS test
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    N1NN1N Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if fail the first time. Do they give us a second chance to retake?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N1N wrote: »

You need to register with the second shot offer when you sign up for it, and that's only good through June (for both the first and second attempts).
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N1N wrote: »
    yes, but only until June 30

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later