Options

AUI port

linux44linux44 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi,
i have been googling to find out what is an AUI port and what it it used for ,but i couldnt really understand
can some one please explain it to me and tell me why do we use transceiver to convert the AUI to RJ45
does that mean RJ45 and AUI are the same
by that i mean what is the AUI port used for on back of switch like 1924 or 2924

tnx

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Attachment Unit Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

old technology, prior to an RJ45 connection built in.
    Required a transciever to convert the signal.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    thank you for ur response
    i have already read that wikipedia but i really can not undrestand it
    does it mean AUI is same as Rj-45 and what is MAU
    the reason i am asking that is because i have 1603 router and it has the following port
    10base t
    AUI
    ISdn
    Console
    and i dont know whether i can use the AUI as ethernet using transevier,so i can have 2 ethernet all to gether?
    but the problem is when i do sh ip int b ,it only shows one ethernet and one BRI ,no AUI or second ethernet
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    linux44 wrote: »
    thank you for ur response
    i have already read that wikipedia but i really can not undrestand it
    does it mean AUI is same as Rj-45 and what is MAU
    the reason i am asking that is because i have 1603 router and it has the following port
    10base t
    AUI
    ISdn
    Console
    and i dont know whether i can use the AUI as ethernet using transevier,so i can have 2 ethernet all to gether?
    but the problem is when i do sh ip int b ,it only shows one ethernet and one BRI ,no AUI or second ethernet

The AUI port was used to allow you to connect the device onto different types of networks. You could use COAX thinNEt, Coax ThickNet, fiber transcievers, 10BaseT transcievers etc... This was before the Rj45 connector became the standard.

On your old router, you could use either the AUI port or the built in port. They can not be used at the same time.

Again the AUI would have been used, if you need to connect something other than RJ45.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    thanks for ur response
    so there is no way i can use both at same time?
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    linux44,

Are you trying to use this router for CCNA studies, or are you trying to get it working for your own personal knowledge?

Per the Cisco documentation:

"On the 1603-R router, there is one functional port for either the 10Base-T (RJ-45) or AUI (DB-15)."

Which means that you can only use one of the two Ethernet ports. It looks to me like this router is used solely to connect to an ISDN connection, with one Ethernet connection to a LAN. There is another WAN interface, I think, where you can put another interface card in, but this is only for connecting to a WAN link.

If you are using this router for CCNA studies, you'd probably be bested served by getting a 25xx or 26xx series routers, as I doubt the 1603 will run an IOS that has the same router commands as needed in the CCNA.

But I may be wrong.. icon_smile.gif

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Knowing what an AUI is may be useful for getting a lab going, but rest assured you won't be tested on it for the CCNA.

For interfaces that have both AUI and RJ-45 connectors, you need to remember that you only have one interface. So there is nothing to be gained by using both connections. Not sure what would happen if you did. My guess is that you would either wind up with a 2-port hub connection or that only one (or none) of the connections would function.

Here's what one of those combined AUI/RJ-45 interfaces look like in case you're interested

nm-1e2w.jpg