Options

Network Share Issue

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
We have a logon script that maps our network shares depending on the kind of access that the user has. today we come in and it started to ask for a username and then the password inorder to access the share.

Below I have added the line in the batch script that I use to map the share. Is it possible to add the username and password to this so the script could run automatically?

NET USE x: \\Lswtgl143\IT /persistent:no /yes

Comments

• Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    net use X: \\server\share /persistent:no /user:username password
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    We have a logon script that maps our network shares depending on the kind of access that the user has. today we come in and it started to ask for a username and then the password inorder to access the share.
    Something changed. Shouldn't you find out what it was or who it was before changing your login scripts?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Something changed. Shouldn't you find out what it was or who it was before changing your login scripts?

Yes, im currently trying to figure out what changed. We re-arranged the server room on Saturday but everything is back up
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Ensure time is synced between your file server and all the domain controllers.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a perfect scenario for Security+...! Know your access control.... No one should change anything without testing it and approval by the IT Director.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Kasor wrote: »
    This is a perfect scenario for Security+...! Know your access control.... No one should change anything without testing it and approval by the IT Director.

I know what your saying and I agree but my supervisor did this without my knowledge and he doesn't know what he did so I'm stuck trying to figure out what the problem is and how to resolve it.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does everyone access this share with "their" username and password if prompted? Or are you talking about using a single user and pass in the logon script and everyone uses the same one (assuming whatever you're using to determine that they have access, determines that they have access)?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Does everyone access this share with "their" username and password if prompted? Or are you talking about using a single user and pass in the logon script and everyone uses the same one (assuming whatever you're using to determine that they have access, determines that they have access)?

This share is on a NAS and the only people that have access to it or even know about it is my supervisor and myself. The script is setup so that it only applies if the user is a member of the Domain Admins group.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wonder if your supervisor changed any settings on the domain. Changing to higher security options like not allowing more outdated authentication methods could break access to some NAS devices that aren't running Windows.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I wonder if your supervisor changed any settings on the domain. Changing to higher security options like not allowing more outdated authentication methods could break access to some NAS devices that aren't running Windows.

I have seen this before, especially if you are running Vista. Vista was the first MS OS not to enable older LM and NTLM authentication by default (if I remember correctly from the 2008 Security Resource Kit). You can find more information here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/39248-vista-network-folder-issue.html
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yea, SMB Signing does not get along with the Macs at a place I used to work.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »

Or many low end NAS appliances or Samba shares.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    dynamik wrote: »

I think its supported on 10.5.6 now.

not 10.4 or lower though
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I disabled it to get things working initially, but I made the company buy ADmit Mac for them. It works great and provides much more functionality.