Modem does not hang up

ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got a call from someone who wanted me to come out and set up his dial-up for AT&T and give the computer a tune-up. He lives too from from civilization and can't get DSL or cable. He doesn't want to pay for satellite. I had to call AT&T because the numbers that their software had were no good. I talked to customer support I got a new working number. I created a new connection under network connections so I'm not using the software they sent. It works perfectly.

The problem is that after I disconnect, the modem holds the line open. I have to unplug the cable for a moment to get it to hangup. He told me that 3 years ago or so he had dial-up with another service and did not have this problem. My modem skills are a bit dusty because I haven't used dial-up in years.

The computer is an old Dell with XP.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on? I'm going back out this week to tie up a few loose ends. I've looked around and really haven't seen anything useful other than adding something to the AT Command set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DUM is cheap, buy another one for less than $10 and setup to see if you still get the same issue. Are you running Win XP or W2K? It should not having any problem. The worst thing is the phone line that provide by AT&T. Also have the AT&T Technician to check out the signal from the switches board.

Also DUM speed is too slow to load up most of the today website. Also, what is the point to live so far away and want internet connection.

Are you sure they are not fitting in one of the FBI profiles? Just be careful,.. far and away can be a problem.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn