VCP Training

dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking at taking one of VMware's training classes for the VCP exam. Looks like my boss won't spring from the training so I am on my own. I see that vSphere is replacing the VI 3 classes, so I will wait from them.

I have a few questions for those that have attended the training. How was the Install and Configure classes? Was it real basic? I have three ESXi servers and one ESX server at work. I pretty much taught myself how to install and set them up. I will admit that I am not super familiar with all of the command line commands, but feel comfortable when using the CLI. There have been a few times that I needed to do some things at the console and found most of the information on a few forums to get the problem fixed.

Secondly, would the Fast Track program that combines both Install & Configure with DSA be worth it? What constitutes an "extended hours training course"? From my research, it is only one extra day so is every day 14 hours long or something?

Finally I heard that the actual VMware taught courses are better then the partner ones, is there anything to that?

Basically I am looking for any input on this. I have a copy of the Mastering VMware Infrastructure 3 book and have been going through it. I really want to get my VCP and do some consulting on the side. Any suggestions on the best site to go to for the training?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you take a class from someone other than VMware, make sure that it can be applied towards the VCP. There are some that don't work.

I really wasn't looking forward to my I&C course, but I enjoyed it immensely. They really delved into how things worked behind-the-scenes. If I recall correctly, the FT courses are 10-hour days, but they might be 12.

Be sure to get the VCP exam cram book; I'm sure much of it will still be applicable to the newer exam. You can even buy mine if you want a discount ;)

Edit: Wow. I just saw VI3 VCPs need to take the new exam by the end of December this year if they want to avoid taking another course. Yikes!
  • dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you take a class from someone other than VMware, make sure that it can be applied towards the VCP. There are some that don't work.

I really wasn't looking forward to my I&C course, but I enjoyed it immensely. They really delved into how things worked behind-the-scenes. If I recall correctly, the FT courses are 10-hour days, but they might be 12.

Be sure to get the VCP exam cram book; I'm sure much of it will still be applicable to the newer exam. You can even buy mine if you want a discount ;)

Edit: Wow. I just saw VI3 VCPs need to take the new exam by the end of December this year if they want to avoid taking another course. Yikes!

Thanks for the offer Dynamik! I saw the bit on the upgrade exam and that is what pushed me to wait for the new classes.

I realize that the product is not out yet, but I wonder how different ESX 4 will be from 3.5.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The FastTrack class is 5 days and 10hrs long - its intense (lunch is provided and you're expected to lab through it). I found it really informative and if you can swing the $$$ it's worth the knowledge. If all you want is to pass the VCP exam just take I&C and save the money, nothing from DSA is on the test (it's the course for the Enterprise exam in the VCDX cert track).
    dratnol wrote: »
    I realize that the product is not out yet, but I wonder how different ESX 4 will be from 3.5.
    Very. :)

Have a look at the information already available on www.vmware.com and hit up the blog sites for deep dives. There are some really great new features and a lot of evolution of existing features. Definitely sets the bar higher for the competition.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The VI3 class was great. Would I have spent my own money to take it, now that I know that? Maybe, but probably not.

You'll find some links if you search this forum, for the exam, the course material will cover most of what you need to know, most of the rest is covered in the PDF documentation on vmware.com. You probably need a good 3-6 months experience working with it too.

A great book to dig into and learn VI is Mastering VMWare Infrastructure by Chris McCain.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...