Options

"The Microsoft Way" w/ DHCP Reservations

bjstickbjstick Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am constantly seeing conflicting answers with regards to DHCP reservations and exclusion ranges. For example, on the Transcender practice exam, there is a question that shows you five printers that have DHCP reservations and a DHCP exclusion range that covers the same addresses. They ask if there is anything wrong with the setup. The correct answer, according to them, is no. However, on a TestOut DHCP question, there is a very similar scenario and the correct answer is that the exlusion range is incorrect.

Now I know from personal experience that if you have DHCP reservations and an exclusion range covering the same IP addresses, that the DHCP reservations take precedence. This is how I have my network setup. Basically, I use the exlusion range to ensure that IP addresses in the same range will not be in use if we decide to add another printer in the future. In fact, I use this same strategy with client PCs as well.

Does Microsoft have an official stance on this? I would hate to get burned on a question like this because it isn't a "Microsoft Best Practice", when the test question is only asking "Will this work?"
Current Track: MCSE 2003: Security

80.0% complete. WIP: 70-299

Comments

• Options
    nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I concluded the Microsoft stance is that the exclusion range should be removed, from my own experience with this exam. Confused the hell out of me too.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!