Options

Intel fined $1.45 Billion for European Anti Trust 'Market Abuse'

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
First it was Microsoft with 497 million Euro fine in 2004 and now it is Intel's turn. Intel are appealing the decision.

BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    First it was Microsoft with 497 million Euro fine in 2004 and now it is Intel's turn. Intel are appealing the decision.

BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

Im sure this will line the pockets of EU ministers for a while with even crazier expenses, job roles and wasting money than they already have! :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    If I was Intel I would tell EU to suck it. Then I would not allow any Intel product to be sold in Europe. Let's see how long they last with any new processors.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nel wrote:
    I'm sure this will line the pockets of EU ministers for a while with even crazier expenses, job roles and wasting money than they already have! :D

Does this mean I have to pay back the £1.2b I claimed on expenses to have a gardener de-weed my patio? Sorry, was dreaming then and though I worked for the UK government.

But yes, surely those EU ministers are gonna have one heck of a party now icon_rolleyes.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Does this mean I have to pay back the £1.2b I claimed on expenses to have a gardener de-weed my patio? Sorry, was dreaming then and though I worked for the UK government.

But yes, surely those EU ministers are gonna have one heck of a party now icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes it does...and all those receipts for those seedy clubs you claimed back too :D
    If I was Intel I would tell EU to suck it. Then I would not allow any Intel product to be sold in Europe. Let's see how long they last with any new processors.

Thats pretty unrealistic to say the least but welcome to our "world" of the EU barmy army!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    There's no way for these companies to win! If they lower their prices they're squeezing out the little guy. If they raise their prices they are participating in price gouging and if they keep their prices static they are hit for price collusion!

What a joke.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They made over $5bn profit last year so it might sting a bit but hardly hurts. Although they did announce job cuts which I am not sure is related.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ElvisG wrote: »

It'll cost them less to pay the fine than it would to stop supplying the region and let a competitor gain market share by filling the void.
  • Options
    This isn't about how much it hurts them but about whether or not someone has the right to be successful. Is it really impossible to be as successful as Microsoft is without cheating in some sort of way? That's what they're saying here by fining Intel/Microsoft.

If you make USD$100,000/yr and someone said to you "You're too successful, you must have trampled on people to get where you are. Give me $1000." would that be ok?

Oh wait, that's exactly what a progressive income tax system is...
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    genXrcist wrote: »
    This isn't about how much it hurts them but about whether or not someone has the right to be successful. Is it really impossible to be as successful as Microsoft is without cheating in some sort of way? That's what they're saying here by fining Intel/Microsoft.

If you make USD$100,000/yr and someone said to you "You're too successful, you must have trampled on people to get where you are. Give me $1000." would that be ok?

if you read the article, thats kind of exactly what they are not accusing intel of doing.

john

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seriously folks, read the article at least before commenting. This is not about pricing competitively or incentives to buy more of their product it is about actively paying (by rebates or directly) for vendors to NOT use competitors products. That is very clearly anti competitive, huge difference.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Seriously folks, read the article at least before commenting.

Nah, between the people making assumptions and the people correcting them, I think I've got the gist of it. Thanks to everyone for saving me some time ;)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm thinking this,
    The Commission said that personal computer makers Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo and NEC had all been given hidden rebates if they only used Intel chips.
    and this,
    It also found that Media Saturn, which owns Europe's biggest consumer electronics retailer Media Markt, had been given money so that it would only sell computers containing Intel chips.
    are the less-than-gray areas that the EU is fining Intel for. Regardless of the state of AMD's sales, regardless of what you might think of the EU or Intel's business practices, those actions are legally questionable and are certainly not conducive to a free market. (Then again, back-alley deals and secret partnerships rarely are.)

If Intel were simply selling more chips than AMD and there was nothing to it more than one manufacturer doing better than the other, it would be ridiculous to say that there's some need to fine Intel or punish them. Since this isn't the case, and Intel did allegedly give hidden incentives to retailers and computer manufacturers that sold only their chips, the fine is understandable. . . high, but understandable.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Seriously folks, read the article at least before commenting. This is not about pricing competitively or incentives to buy more of their product it is about actively paying (by rebates or directly) for vendors to NOT use competitors products. That is very clearly anti competitive, huge difference.

By providing incentives for customers to NOT purchase a competitor's product are they not effectively raising their prices?

If I was the competitor I'd say "Awesome. They just made themselves more expensive."

Take a look at this paragraph:
    "It is a major decision that shows the Commission is serious about curtailing abusive behaviour of dominant companies, especially in the high-tech sector."

Should read: "It is a major decision that shows the Commission is serious about curtailing abusive behaviour of companies with Deep Pockets, especially in the high-tech sector. Please note that the vendors who accepted these payments from Intel were in no way punished and in we sympathize with these poor, defenseless victims of capitalism."
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    genXrcist wrote: »

Let's not carried away. A progressive income tax system is for the good of everyone in a mostly market economy, including those who pay more taxes, since it allows the lower classes money to buy goods the richer people are producing, thereby producing a market for the rich to sell goods and jobs for the middle and lower classes. We tried flatter income tax rates in our history, and it lead to statification of wealth which resulted in recessions and depressions. Crap the EU is pulling doesn't help anyone.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    I can only say that mysteriously AMD processors disappeared for nearly 3 months completely off Dell's website about a year or 2 ago. When they reappeared it was in a far less range of computers. I did think something was up at the time, as you could easily buy either AMD or Intel processor prior to that. AMD were undercutting Intel prices too.

A monopoly flexes it muscle. Shocking.
    Yes we can, yes we can...